8700G Based Mini PC

Soldato
It does look good some info here

I think many will enjoy the 8700g with that built in gpu performance to boot, even for non gamers and at least gives people the GPU grunt to handle all the latest videos and codecs (AV1) and much more.

Associate
I would check out ETA Prime channel on youtube as he reviews a lot of the mini PCs that come from the likes of ASRock, Beeslink, Minisforum etc.

Soldato
Some pictures and specs and info updated here

articles says the deskmeets coming soon in a few weeks time, the mini and jupiter should come after AMDs 8000 launch.

I like that jupiter case but the mini probably better suited for upgrades etc

Soldato
I think after their inevitable price-drops these will be worth it, but at the moment they seem a bit... Meh.
Performance is alright (for a while), but I think I'd just buy a 7840H mini-PC at this price point. AMD say they'll address the performance problems in an AGESA update, but I wouldn't be touching it until this is out too.

I watched a video on Tech-Yes yesterday and he said there was no hardware video encoding on these... He has to be wrong? I was surprised to hear him say this, and others not touch on it.

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I think after their inevitable price-drops these will be worth it, but at the moment they seem a bit... Meh.
Performance is alright (for a while), but I think I'd just buy a 7840H mini-PC at this price point. AMD say they'll address the performance problems in an AGESA update, but I wouldn't be touching it until this is out too.

I watched a video on Tech-Yes yesterday and he said there was no hardware video encoding on these... He has to be wrong? I was surprised to hear him say this, and others not touch on it.

I was very tempted on the 7840 mini pc but over on reddit past year or so you can see these AMD mini pcs (6000/7000 series) just tend to fail or have problematic bios or hardware issues.

A lot of it stems from miniforums/beelinks support/bios in general but its just from AMD mini pc in general, the intel side of mini pcs is far more reliable and robust at least according to reddit mini pc section.

This is why I was intrigued to perhaps avoid the amd mini pc and go for a mini itx+8700g build but will see since even the Asrock mini pc cases are riddled with bad bio support and problems so may also wait for the meteor lake mini pcs from intel to come out.

If you do go for a mini pc, id get it from amazon at least you got 30 days to test it out and easier returns, but just bare in mind many have hardware or bios issues 6 months or 1 year later.

As for the hardware video encoding, that sounds odd I thought the whole point of even the 7840 apus and even 8700gs would have AV1/video hardware/decoding, along with the older video codecs. Releasing such a cpu/gpu or apu at this point would be bonkers.

I can see at bottom here on 8700g review, they use av1 and jellyfin to pass through hardware decoding just fine.

Soldato
I got a cheap 5700U mini-PC lately (Ayaneo AM01), and still have a 2400G that's been in a DeskMini A300 for a bit. For what I do the Vega in the 5700U is enough, and even the older Zen 2 cores it uses are up to my tasks.

For sure I've seen reports of horrible QC in much older Beelink/Minisforum PCs, but the current crop are definitely of a much higher quality. I also live in a place where it's very easy to get product support on these companies.

Good to know it's just Tech-Yes being wrong on this one. I thought it would be insane for AMD not to include any hardware video encoding on these chips. :D
I dare say in the future, once they've updated AGESA and fixed their power throttling and the price drops a bit (we know it's coming). It's either that or I'll pick up a Beelink GTR7. The SFF/Mini-PC addiction is a hard one to break.

Soldato
It does look good some info here

I think many will enjoy the 8700g with that built in gpu performance to boot, even for non gamers and at least gives people the GPU grunt to handle all the latest videos and codecs (AV1) and much more.
Av1 decoding was done by 12th gen intel and doesnt need "grunt" when you have proper asic doing the job

Associate
I got a cheap 5700U mini-PC lately (Ayaneo AM01), and still have a 2400G that's been in a DeskMini A300 for a bit. For what I do the Vega in the 5700U is enough, and even the older Zen 2 cores it uses are up to my tasks.

For sure I've seen reports of horrible QC in much older Beelink/Minisforum PCs, but the current crop are definitely of a much higher quality. I also live in a place where it's very easy to get product support on these companies.

Good to know it's just Tech-Yes being wrong on this one. I thought it would be insane for AMD not to include any hardware video encoding on these chips. :D
I dare say in the future, once they've updated AGESA and fixed their power throttling and the price drops a bit (we know it's coming). It's either that or I'll pick up a Beelink GTR7. The SFF/Mini-PC addiction is a hard one to break.
Bought and used some Minisforum mini-pcs and Beelink PCs in the past. Only issue so far is faulty ram on one of the machines. These were all purchases made in the last year, can't comment on older than that. The performance in such small factors is impressive.

Bios is function over form, generally non-graphical as you may find in Intel NUCs. And bios updates are very limited, if non-existent. Can't comment on long term longevity yet, but I have a Beelink with a 5600H still going strong, no issues touch wood.

Soldato
Just watching the Der8auer delid video on delidding the 8700G, and am pretty disappointed to see it's not soldered to the IHS.
After my 2400G became a small furnace, unable to be cooled properly, I had to delid it. It was a night and day difference.
I'll never buy another CPU that's just using standard TIM between the die/IHS.

Last edited:
Associate
I feel your pain. I had both 2200G and 2400G, they became uncoolable overtime and I learned the hard way they AGAIN used bird POO for the 8700G. I already sold mine.
Seems my good old SOLDERED 5700G will serve me few more years.

Caporegime
Am I lucky then? Usually get the poor binned chips over my PC history but my 2400G runs in a small HTPC case with a bog standard cooler, essentially 24/7 for 7 years with no issues with heat. Off to check temps but last I remember they were in the 40s I think.

Back
Top Bottom