• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8700k fully working asrock z170m

Soldato
What Intel should've done is let the board partners decide if they wanted Coffee-Lake running on their Z170/Z270 boards, instead they strong-armed them into making Z370 so they (Intel) could make more money. Intel still force TIM onto their IHS and along with forcing new chipsets with features many of us don't need/want I'll be hoping Zen 2 is awesome.

What I don't understand is many with Sky/Kaby-Lake would've upgraded to Coffee if only they didn't have to stump up another £150 for a decent motherboard.

Associate
OP
thats what i was thinkin,if i need to buy new mobo/ram then im going ryzen,if intel had made coffelake compatible with z170 then id jst threw in a 8700k,they would probaly have stoped many jumpin ship to amd if they had done this,dont understand intel logic

Soldato
Who wants to put a bet that Intel will come out AT LEAST with the scheme that the i9-9900K (the 8 core CFL) will be only working on the Z390 boards because of XYZ reasons?
While they will give us grace that the i7-9700K & i5-9600K (the 8700K and 8600K under their new names) can be used on existing Z370?

(personally I doubt will allow us to use the re-bagged ones on the Z370 but on this I give them the element of doubt).

Soldato
Well Z390 seems to have been cancelled... unless they're just "pushing it back" until CFL 8-core comes out.

One possible reason for denying compatibility might be weak VRMs on some Z370 boards (and older) - although really they should just be setting a power delivery requirement and certifying existing boards based on that. In an ideal world, those who invested in a board with strong enough VRMs should be able to just drop an 8 core into it, without having to resort to modified bioses.

(That said, there are some Z370 boards that really don't even live up to a 6-core CFL, and yet there is no such easy labelling scheme to warn buyers.)

Soldato
Not to mention the reinstall time that isn't required if you just swap a CPU...
Yeah I totally forgot about needing another Windows licence.
Who wants to put a bet that Intel will come out AT LEAST with the scheme that the i9-9900K (the 8 core CFL) will be only working on the Z390 boards because of XYZ reasons?
While they will give us grace that the i7-9700K & i5-9600K (the 8700K and 8600K under their new names) can be used on existing Z370?

(personally I doubt will allow us to use the re-bagged ones on the Z370 but on this I give them the element of doubt).
At least we have a decent alternative with Zen 2 at that point, I was considering getting a 8700k but managed to get my hands on a 3770k to tide me over until 2019.

los

los

Associate
If they had have done this I’d have an 8700k. Even if I could have ran my 6770k on z370 I’d still be on intel. However due to this I jumped to amd knowing I can add the newest processor when it came out

Associate
AMD have to provide boot kits to get around the fact many of their first gen boards in the supply chain haven't been updated for support of Ryzen 2.

They can do this as they have far less stock to begin with and are trying to win market share, so good PR helps.

One can argue Intels approach to locking down older chipsets helps the "average" consumer, as they are less likely to purchase an incompatible board. It would also be a large financial burden providing boot kits, and we know Intel prefer to take the cheapest route.

Soldato
One can argue Intels approach to locking down older chipsets helps the "average" consumer, as they are less likely to purchase an incompatible board. It would also be a large financial burden providing boot kits, and we know Intel prefer to take the cheapest route.

It would help more if they changed the number of pins rather than having multiple socket 1151s though... But that might mean actually changing something :p

AMD could score a win, imo, if they produced an additional little chip that could go on boards and let them do bios flashes without needing a CPU. In fact don't Asus have this already? It is poor form on manufacturers if any of the 400 series boards lack this since there will obviously be the same issue again with Ryzen 3000...

Soldato
AMD could score a win, imo, if they produced an additional little chip that could go on boards and let them do bios flashes without needing a CPU. In fact don't Asus have this already? It is poor form on manufacturers if any of the 400 series boards lack this since there will obviously be the same issue again with Ryzen 3000...

On the CH6 you don't need a CPU or ram to flash the bios.

Soldato
On the CH6 you don't need a CPU or ram to flash the bios.

Yeah, there you go :) Why isn't that a mandatory feature on all AMD boards given the promise of forward compatibility?

AMD really need to start leaning on board manufacturers now that Ryzen is real and proven. Stuff like this is why people still think they're a bit rubbish :/

Soldato
Yeah, there you go :) Why isn't that a mandatory feature on all AMD boards given the promise of forward compatibility?

AMD really need to start leaning on board manufacturers now that Ryzen is real and proven. Stuff like this is why people still think they're a bit rubbish :/

If peeps want features like that on a mobo, then in all reality, they have to pay for them. It's always been that way, if you want the best mobo to clock on it has always been expensive. Going back to the NF2 days, the DFI Landparty mobo's had removable bios chips (i always had 3 or 4 on hand). They were always handy if you pushed the clock or ram too far and borked the mobo, not needed nowdays but certainly were then. Cheap mobo's have there place and always have done, but if you want to get the best out of ram and cpu, then you pays the money and takes your choice.

Soldato

A great deal of the new cheaper boards will have this, it is something AMD are actually ensuring the board vendors do, and not just on the higher end models.

I've never needed the feature really, since I use an SPI programmer, and can flash the board turn off, with no CPU/RAM/PSU or anything installed. :)

Soldato
A great deal of the new cheaper boards will have this, it is something AMD are actually ensuring the board vendors do, and not just on the higher end models.

I've never needed the feature really, since I use an SPI programmer, and can flash the board turn off, with no CPU/RAM/PSU or anything installed. :)

That is very good news :) AMD have to put some effort in to counter the rep they built up from 2012(?) to 2017. They really need to not have people buying a B350 and a 2600 and they don't work. Most folks will send that back to the store and replace it with Intel :/

I don't even know what an SPI programmer is... is it anything like a C++ programmer? :p

Soldato
That is very good news :) AMD have to put some effort in to counter the rep they built up from 2012(?) to 2017. They really need to not have people buying a B350 and a 2600 and they don't work. Most folks will send that back to the store and replace it with Intel :/

I don't even know what an SPI programmer is... is it anything like a C++ programmer? :p

Serial Peripheral Interface, some boards have dedicated SPI headers, others you just use a test clip, and wire to the pin-out of that chip, there are some that don't allow it but very few these days. Some board still have removable chips, I have a pretty big stash of new ASRock ones for various board in my box of bits. :)

Back
Top Bottom