• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8700K good enough for 6800XT

Associate
If the OP's motherboard has MCE or equivalent, it'll do 4.7GHz all core on auto all day long. At least then they're not losing the single core speed.
That's interesting to know, I might have a delve into the bios and test this, although when I upgraded to the 3090 I disabled MCE on the motherboard because it was giving off 4 beeps on post.

Edit: so although you are correct when saying it will boost to 4.7Ghz on all cores when MCE is enabled, there maybe some heat/stability issues as the boost will add more uncontrollable voltage, whereas if the user were to set an overclock to 4.7Ghz on all cores, they could control how much voltage was being added, the downside being if you overclock yourself it will stay at 4.7Ghz and not auto reduce.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's interesting to know, I might have a delve into the bios and test this, although when I upgraded to the 3090 I disabled MCE on the motherboard because it was giving off 4 beeps on post.

Edit: so although you are correct when saying it will boost to 4.7Ghz on all cores when MCE is enabled, there maybe some heat/stability issues as the boost will add more uncontrollable voltage, whereas if the user were to set an overclock to 4.7Ghz on all cores, they could control how much voltage was being added, the downside being if you overclock yourself it will stay at 4.7Ghz and not auto reduce.

Yeah, I had a delid 8Pack 5GHz 8600K when they came out before I moved on to Threadripper. I used to just enable MCE and change the CPU voltage to either automatic negative offset (Asus board) or else -0.01.

Permabanned
As thread title. Is my 8700k powerful enough for my new 6800XT? As obviously the new Ryzen cpus offer more features that the 6800XT can utilise over the 8700k but would an upgrade be worth the cost and would I see noticeable performance increase. Thanks

No, upgrade to Ryzen 9 5900X as soon as possible ;)

Associate
I have my 8700k at 4.8ghz all core (fixed voltage 1.31) and it never goes above 72 degrees with Noctua D15. Pushing a Rtx3090 at 1440p, all games at 1440p are awesome with everything turned on, only game my cpu maxes out at (100% usage) is cyberpunk with all the bells and whistles at max. Still plays well. So you should have a few years left in the 8700k.

Permabanned
I have my 8700k at 4.8ghz all core (fixed voltage 1.31) and it never goes above 72 degrees with Noctua D15. Pushing a Rtx3090 at 1440p, all games at 1440p are awesome with everything turned on, only game my cpu maxes out at (100% usage) is cyberpunk with all the bells and whistles at max. Still plays well. So you should have a few years left in the 8700k.

100% load on the CPU is never a good sign - it's very vulnerable to micro-stuttering when Windows processes something else in the background.

Soldato
but would an upgrade be worth the cost and would I see noticeable performance increase. Thanks
Am using a 8700k myself and am really thinking of upgrading it to a 9900k while you can still buy them

Am Thinking this upgrade should cost only around £150 with the money back from selling the 8700k

Soldato
Cheers, I have seen a 9900kf for 300. Not sure the upgrade from 8700k would be worth it though. Something to think about I suppose.
Am looking at it as am hoping the 8 cores vs 6 cores should make my computer last for a few extra years

As i don't upgrade my CPU/Motherboard/Ram every year or 2 like many people on here do

Soldato
Cheers, I have seen a 9900kf for 300. Not sure the upgrade from 8700k would be worth it though. Something to think about I suppose.

made that upgrade few months. Sold 8700k for 250 and picked up 9900k for 300. No real change in performance, in fact lost silicon lottery so for single core my 8700k could actually hit higher clock speeds :o overall at higher resolutions, well 4K with a 3090 no real change in performance. I suspect by the time the 8700k performance becomes that problematic then 9900k will not be to far behind. That said If you can sell your 8700k for a decent price though then would consider it.

Back
Top Bottom