8700k overclocking

Associate
He will be fine if he max's out all his case fans. I bet he is regretting listening to a certain person and getting that cooler instead of an AIO :(

Soldato
OP
I had AIO on my last build, planned to on this until someone change my mind, doh. Kinda trust people as I don't know masses about all the components, but I guess they aren't always right. Oh well, live and learn. Maybe an Xmas present to myself lol.

Then 5.0!!!! :D

Soldato
I set my 8700k @4.8 in my Asus maximus x formula bios put the cpu volt to 1.26v and played my games with no problem,it's cooled with a hyper 212 with 2 gentle phyoons 1850rpm idel 25c game at about 52c odd.

Soldato
I set my 8700k @4.8 in my Asus maximus x formula bios put the cpu volt to 1.26v and played my games with no problem,it's cooled with a hyper 212 with 2 gentle phyoons 1850rpm idel 25c game at about 52c odd.

Games don’t load the cpu properly. They’re not a good stability test I’m afraid.

I have the same motherboard, it’s designed for watercooling and does an excellent job.

Soldato
OP
yeah gaming mines around 30/40'C, prime95 its HOT, lol

I haven't made any large Lightroom batch exports yet. Wonder how hot that will get..........

Soldato
yeah gaming mines around 30/40'C, prime95 its HOT, lol

I haven't made any large Lightroom batch exports yet. Wonder how hot that will get..........

For me I’d rather have a lower OC than a chip that’s roasting under load.

I used the Corsair H100i v2 for quite a while, and for an AIO it was excellent on my 4790k, but it couldn’t tame the thermals of an overclocked 8700K.

Imo if you’re overclocking hard you need to delid, and to realise the full potential of the chip you almost need a full loop. At the very least a top end 240/360 AIO or a huuuuuuge chunk of metal for air cooling.

I know a lot of people still love air cooling and think it competes, but for me it’s noisy, bulk and doesn’t perform as well. But then I suppose I’m bias. :D

Associate
Interesting viewpoint. Fair enough....
I think a lot of people must do this. Set the OC to be stable in whatever software they primarily use and then forget it without bothering with long hot stress tests.

I don't think it is a bad thing, they are effectively tuning their components for stability for their specific situation.

Reading oc / enthusiast (real hands on enthusiast, not spend x money and you are an enthusiast) forums makes it seem like everyone that is overclocking is running prime95 until the fans are screaming and the cpu is glowing white hot.
But I'm sure for every person that overclocks for stability in all things, there are at least 20 or 30 that don't visit forums or have any interest in benching and just want max performance for minimal hassle in game x. Oc, check game, no crash, leave it and game on.

This isn't a dig at either party, i think they are both valid and have their pros and cons.

Soldato
I think a lot of people must do this. Set the OC to be stable in whatever software they primarily use and then forget it without bothering with long hot stress tests.

I don't think it is a bad thing, they are effectively tuning their components for stability for their specific situation.

Reading oc / enthusiast (real hands on enthusiast, not spend x money and you are an enthusiast) forums makes it seem like everyone that is overclocking is running prime95 until the fans are screaming and the cpu is glowing white hot.
But I'm sure for every person that overclocks for stability in all things, there are at least 20 or 30 that don't visit forums or have any interest in benching and just want max performance for minimal hassle in game x. Oc, check game, no crash, leave it and game on.

This isn't a dig at either party, i think they are both valid and have their pros and cons.

I agree entirely. Though as for screaming fans, if they’re over min speed when gaming I’m disgusted with myself :p

Part of the reason I stress test is for thermals. I want to know that my fan profiles are correct and my cooling effective. I really don’t like the idea of an unexpected load driving my temps through the roof and forcing throttling or shut down.

I also don’t like the idea of a crash during something critical, like an update.

It’s as you say I suppose, both sides have their pros and cons.

Associate
Test for stability with what you use the pc for. Simples.

Stuff like p95, r15, 3dm is just handy for getting a ballpark oc.

Pretty much every chip i put in i run r15 (quick), run 3dm physx (quick) then go game and adjust if needed. ROG bench also good for doing this.

Or if you want it rock solid for whatever reason p95 26.6 1344k for an hour also. Only time I do this is to check thermals so nothing takes the cpu by surprise.

Associate
ST1.png

ST2.png

Last edited:
Associate
That AIO isn't doing much more than my air, but you are at 4.9 and I'm 4.8.
Thought there'd be a bit more difference though

I literally only use it for gaming. CPU sit's around 55 degrees in game, mid 60's when streaming. I'm going to leave it as it is for the time being and see how I go. I'm never really doing anything under full load for long periods of time

Associate
I knocked the CPU back to 4.8 this morning, and ran 12 passes of prime 95. This afternoon, I have delid the CPU and ran another 12 passes pf prime 95. Results below

Before delid

OC-1.png

After delid

OC-2.png
OC-2.png

Going to see how far I can push it tomorrow now

Back
Top Bottom