8700K Thermal Struggle I'm DELIDDED

Associate
I have up-graded to 8700K and Asus Strix-E MB and have given a try with OC, I'm not much of an overclocker but have OC 6600k to 4.5Ghz stable on air cooler.
To start with I am shocked at this point with thermal spikes when on load.

Specs
Asus STRIX - E
DDR4 2 X 8Gb Trident 3200mhz
Asus STRIX 1060 6gb
Corsair RM750X PSU
Venom Asaka Air cooler

RAM is on XMP #auto profile of Asus MB

OVERCLOCKING and Benchmarking using AIDA64 Stress, CineBench, RealBench, and Intel ETU.

CPU CLOCK CORE V. MAX TEMP at highest peak
4800Mhz 1.315 80-88
4900Mhz 1.335 90-91
5000Mhz 1.340- 1.35 95 + & crashes

I need this PC mainly for editing photos and video( ADOBE ), and CPU load spikes up to 30-60% on editing load and 80-90 exporting full resolution pictures ( very fast compare to 6600K ) and VIDEO rendering is yet to get monitored.

Can I leave my CPU on 5.0-5.1Ghz where it crashes when running Cinebench and benchmarks of such but normal usage seems OK and temp round 65-70 C max at peak.

Will I get any improvement with Maximus Hero X?

Should I delid this CPU?

Thanks in Advance, hopefully I will get some advice and directions. and upload some pictures. :)

Associate
If you really needs all those volts to be stable at those speeds the only way I know to bring your temps down is via a Delid.

That is assuming you have checked cooler mounts etc.

Due to temps and while I await my delidded tool to arrive, I run mine at 4.9Ghz @ 1.28v max temp for me is low 80 during prime.

Soldato
I wouldn't run an overclock that crashes in standard stress tests, let alone benchmarks like Cinebench. You're asking for trouble with that. As for whether you should delid, that's really something for you to decide. The upside to delidding, it'll cut around 20c off your max temps, which offers a ton of overclocking potential. Downside, you void your warranty and there is a potential for you making a mistake and killing your CPU.

Associate
I don't think the Stix-E is the best of boards to run a heavy overclock. It gets darn hot compared to the Maximus. So I would be watching the VRM temps rather than the CPU temps on the board. However, I really wonder if it is worth the extra cost of going to a Maximus. Although people love to aim for 5GHz, I think all cores at 4.8 GHz is the optimum for the 8700K. I mean at 5GHz you are talking only 4% more CPU power than 4.8GHz with a LOT more heat generated. Is it really worth £250 for only 4% and having to deal with that heat?? And you know it may not work even with the Maximus. Since you have readily achieved 4.8GHz and even 4.9Ghz, I would be very tempted to leave it at 4.8GHz considering the temps you are achieving. If you really want to go further then I see delidding as the next step rather than the Maximus, but bearing in mind there is a reason why intel "lidded" CPU's in the first place and it wasn't to function as a heat spreader, they were getting a large number of people damaging the chips themselves.

Associate
OP
If you really needs all those volts to be stable at those speeds the only way I know to bring your temps down is via a Delid.

That is assuming you have checked cooler mounts etc.

Due to temps and while I await my delidded tool to arrive, I run mine at 4.9Ghz @ 1.28v max temp for me is low 80 during prime.

Thanks for your input, my ini8tial thought was something similar and did took off the cooler and re applied.. I m so so close to getting one order (deliding kit) one myself and change a MB to maximus hero X. the spikes with the thermal seems so wrong.. :(

I wouldn't run an overclock that crashes in standard stress tests, let alone benchmarks like Cinebench. You're asking for trouble with that. As for whether you should delid, that's really something for you to decide. The upside to delidding, it'll cut around 20c off your max temps, which offers a ton of overclocking potential. Downside, you void your warranty and there is a potential for you making a mistake and killing your CPU.
Thanks Bemjii..20C off the max temp'' is something worth taking a risk i'd say aswell but wish me luck thou ;) .. thats a lot of temp difference. I would never run the PC in bench marking environment. # while photo editing max temp(exporting rendering) when 90-95%load was around 74C and editing load 40-60% load was 60C when spiking max. 35-40C idle/browsing. delid?? or not :)

I don't think the Stix-E is the best of boards to run a heavy overclock. It gets darn hot compared to the Maximus. So I would be watching the VRM temps rather than the CPU temps on the board. However, I really wonder if it is worth the extra cost of going to a Maximus. Although people love to aim for 5GHz, I think all cores at 4.8 GHz is the optimum for the 8700K. I mean at 5GHz you are talking only 4% more CPU power than 4.8GHz with a LOT more heat generated. Is it really worth £250 for only 4% and having to deal with that heat?? And you know it may not work even with the Maximus. Since you have readily achieved 4.8GHz and even 4.9Ghz, I would be very tempted to leave it at 4.8GHz considering the temps you are achieving. If you really want to go further then I see delidding as the next step rather than the Maximus, but bearing in mind there is a reason why intel "lidded" CPU's in the first place and it wasn't to function as a heat spreader, they were getting a large number of people damaging the chips themselves.
Thanks for your input. I am really tempted to delid this CPU and run it with Masimus hero X but however when you say optimal at 4.8Ghz and the performance I'm getting at the moment comparing to 6600K is massive...lol. don't laugh at it :)
Sorry I didn't get your last..'' But bearing in mind there is a reason why intel "lidded" CPU's in the first place and it wasn't to function as a heat spreader, they were getting a large number of people damaging the chips themselves.'' did Intel left me to sort it out myself (delid) ??
then run at 4.8Ghz same voltage under 1.30 with something likeness of Noctua D15 with very low fan speed with CPU and silent case air flow too... What do you think of this goal of mine?? Achievable ?

cheers guys..

Soldato
You should be able to do better, water cooling mine will run 5.3 with 1.4v and 24/7 use it 5.1 @ 1.35v.

Delidded, takes a few minutes with a Stanley blade... really no need for a tool. You will shave a lot of temp off but I can’t say what as mines never over 50c custom loop. It can do 5 easy is my guess.

Associate
OP
You should be able to do better, water cooling mine will run 5.3 with 1.4v and 24/7 use it 5.1 @ 1.35v.

Delidded, takes a few minutes with a Stanley blade... really no need for a tool. You will shave a lot of temp off but I can’t say what as mines never over 50c custom loop. It can do 5 easy is my guess.

Thanks you Smmffy for your info.. Sounds like you won buddy.. I do get 5.0 with 1.4v but temps is scary..and 50/50 blue screen vs benchmarked. So its a no go.. :( I'd be happy with 4.9 steady with some big ass air cooler..
However I do have some old Intel CPU and stanley blades handy..lol
Diidding voids your warranty 3 years or so... but then you get better performance 3 years solid and more if you delid.. Guess its never easier

Soldato
Thanks you Smmffy for your info.. Sounds like you won buddy.. I do get 5.0 with 1.4v but temps is scary..and 50/50 blue screen vs benchmarked. So its a no go.. :( I'd be happy with 4.9 steady with some big ass air cooler..
However I do have some old Intel CPU and stanley blades handy..lol
Diidding voids your warranty 3 years or so... but then you get better performance 3 years solid and more if you delid.. Guess its never easier

Don’t forget to set ram to stock first and find the limit on the CPU. My temps are good but I’ve got significant amounts of water cooling...

Also worth tweaking other settings like LLC@6,VCCIO 1.15v and VCCA(something like this I forget) the same, core cache min/max @44 (8Pack uses this for stability on all of the bundles I believe). Disable spread spectrum, usual Asus tweaks etc.

Delid, use liquid metal, put some tape on the Stanley blade so you only leave a few mm of blade and work the corners free it’s really quite easy, invest in a good AIO and enjoy - they are really pretty good now.

Associate
OP
Not bench marking until I get better cooling solution being delidding or AIO Liquid cooler.

Currently running @4.8Ghz 1.315V

ASUS REALBENCH @ 4.9Ghz 1.330V

LIGHTROOM Editing and Exporting. @ 4.9Ghz 1.330V

Associate
OP
Don’t forget to set ram to stock first and find the limit on the CPU. My temps are good but I’ve got significant amounts of water cooling...

Also worth tweaking other settings like LLC@6,VCCIO 1.15v and VCCA(something like this I forget) the same, core cache min/max @44 (8Pack uses this for stability on all of the bundles I believe). Disable spread spectrum, usual Asus tweaks etc.

Delid, use liquid metal, put some tape on the Stanley blade so you only leave a few mm of blade and work the corners free it’s really quite easy, invest in a good AIO and enjoy - they are really pretty good now.

Thanks for your input . Cheers
What cooler you think is best at market comparing efficiency and noise with something like noctua D15 or dark pro 4.

Soldato
Thanks for your input . Cheers
What cooler you think is best at market comparing efficiency and noise with something like noctua D15 or dark pro 4.

I don’t use it personally but people seem to rate the EK predator, corair coolers pretty common also - if you can fit a 360 then future proofs a little, the EK system allows you to add the GPU later also. Realistically though a good 240mm is ok - have a look at the 8pack bundles for inspiration ;)

Associate
OP
I don’t use it personally but people seem to rate the EK predator, corair coolers pretty common also - if you can fit a 360 then future proofs a little, the EK system allows you to add the GPU later also. Realistically though a good 240mm is ok - have a look at the 8pack bundles for inspiration ;)

Thanks Smffy, think I will stay with my old air cooler as my old Fractal R4 won't take 360mm radiator which do take 280mm front/intake which I'd want to leave as case fan in-take only. Really want to get their Fractal Design R6 TG. Looks mint and super clean.
Oh and the 8pack PCs are mental.. only for inspirations. lol..

Associate
OP
I currently build [email protected] 1.26v (Not Delidded) on Asus Z370-A, 64GbCrucial memory H100 cooler and temps max out at 80degrees. Nice quiet fan curve as well.
I'm running mine at 4.7Ghz 1.22V its super quiet but I've just been receiving delidding kits.. :p just LM to arrive hopefully tomorrow. I'm stuck here watching tutorials and videos about it.. sleepless..
But delidding has started already ;)

Soldato
I won't delid mine yet. Runs 4.8 @ 1.3v although it may run with less volts not tried. Absolute max temp about 76 on a NHD15 air cooler. I did run 5ghz @ 1.35v but temps were beginning to spike and the difference between 5 and 4.8 isn't worth it to me yet.

Soldato
5.1gjz at 1.354v , 3.8 Cashe and 4000hz ram. Hits 88c under stress tests with a 360 slim EK rad.. though those Silent Wing 3 2200rpm fans.... My VRM hit 108c haha as it's an itx board haha, Def not one for rendering but gaming is fine. Need damn good cooking with coffeelake !

Associate
OP
I won't delid mine yet. Runs 4.8 @ 1.3v although it may run with less volts not tried. Absolute max temp about 76 on a NHD15 air cooler. I did run 5ghz @ 1.35v but temps were beginning to spike and the difference between 5 and 4.8 isn't worth it to me yet.
I don't play games (not anymore..used to ) PC is mainly used for editing(Adobe PremierePro, Lightroom, Phototshop),browsing etc.. and bench marking this gets hot.. but refreshed normal use, even exporting it max' temp well below bench marking as CPU's max load is around (55% - 75%) running CPU at 4.8Ghz. Running @5GHz Temps spikes 85C Averages around 60c ( IS THIS GONNA AFFECT CPU'S LIFE-SPAN?)

Is there a better way of uploading pictures I don't know?

Associate
OP
5.1gjz at 1.354v , 3.8 Cashe and 4000hz ram. Hits 88c under stress tests with a 360 slim EK rad.. though those Silent Wing 3 2200rpm fans.... My VRM hit 108c haha as it's an itx board haha, Def not one for rendering but gaming is fine. Need damn good cooking with coffeelake !
Benchmarking and stressing CPU is fun and ambitious.. Once maximum clock is achieved they can breath...lol... 2200rpm is rapid but I believe they never max out and noise is from air passing thru radiators not the fan themselves.. I love no Noise and believe silence is the key.. :)
what difference do you see running your system while benchmarking VS gaming.

Soldato
Benchmarking and stressing CPU is fun and ambitious.. Once maximum clock is achieved they can breath...lol... 2200rpm is rapid but I believe they never max out and noise is from air passing thru radiators not the fan themselves.. I love no Noise and believe silence is the key.. :)
what difference do you see running your system while benchmarking VS gaming.

Depends on. The fan curve, when benching yeah hits full speed and isn't to bad , compared to most due to the cost of the fans !!!!
When gaming sound is half and wife is able to read book in the same room without knowing if it's on . 54c max temps and 60c for VRM which I find great considering its its a de-lid unit and poor EKWB SE360 , will be changing this soon for alphacools slimmer and better performing 25mm thick rad over current 28mm

One thing fan dB that isn't told is case resonance - have the Phanteks Evolv mATX TG, not the best but still improved over the ATX version but would filter cause more sound then without :(
Run high prositive pressure so many remove and stick fan filters on instead - again should help sound and little better airflow

Soldato
Thanks Smffy, think I will stay with my old air cooler as my old Fractal R4 won't take 360mm radiator which do take 280mm front/intake which I'd want to leave as case fan in-take only. Really want to get their Fractal Design R6 TG. Looks mint and super clean.
Oh and the 8pack PCs are mental.. only for inspirations. lol..

No worries, I meant the 8Pack board/CPU bundles for cooler inspiration. I’m rocking an 8Pack Lian-Li case which is a giant so stuffed full of cooling... debating on downsizing, just moved house and stripped and rebuilt the whole thing.

Back
Top Bottom