• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8700K VS Older Gen i7's (Ivy-Haswell-KabyLake vs Coffeelake)

Don
Guys, there's some great discussion here but please refrain from the insults if you disagree with someone. If you believe someone to be wrong, poke holes in the argument not the person making them.

Permabanned
The out come is the test is a load of crap.
There getting 6core 12 thread cpu's against 4core 8thread cpu's. And the out come is.... the new i7 will kill the old one. The new i7 needs testing with x99 cpus

Soldato
Having just a r9 290 gpu and a 1080p 60hz screen would be a tad pointless to upgrade to the 8700k... But, but,,,, owning a 8700k would be pretty nice and Im sure it would be a decent/awesome upgrade after upgrading the gpu?

When I upgraded last time 6yrs ago I was disappointed from my [email protected] to i5 [email protected], Because you guys said I would notice a huge difference as my cpu was bottlenecking the ati 6950 gpu. I didn't really notice any worth while performance in games...... But this time,,,,, "BRING ON THE POINTLESS UPGRADE" lol

Guys. Are there any better cpus then the 8700k comming out soon, as Im thinking of doing the upgrade to the 8700k:D

Last edited:
Soldato
If I was on a 2500k I would upgrade in a heartbeat, the 8700k will last you a long long time and you know it's time to upgrade everything else as well soon making it even more worth the while getting a 8700k. You can't stay on a 290 for much longer playing the lastest titles.
I went from a [email protected] and I'm seeing big jumps in pubg which I'll write about in detail soon.

The next lot of cpus from intel are comming end of 2018 beginning of 2019, amd with a small refresh start 2018.

Associate
If I was on a 2500k I would upgrade in a heartbeat, the 8700k will last you a long long time and you know it's time to upgrade everything else as well soon making it even more worth the while getting a 8700k. You can't stay on a 290 for much longer playing the lastest titles.
I went from a [email protected] and I'm seeing big jumps in pubg which I'll write about in detail soon.

The next lot of cpus from intel are comming end of 2018 beginning of 2019, amd with a small refresh start 2018.
Would you upgrade from an i5 3570k

Soldato

Well I cant play a lot of fps games, as my reaction times are not fast enough and now a lot of fps games require lots of keys that I can't manage todo. So all the games I play still run smoothly, as I mainly play racing games, so upgrading to the 8700k would be very nice, but I wouldn't see hardly any game improvement, maybe windows would be a tad snappier tho?

Last edited:
Soldato
Would you upgrade from an i5 3570k

Absolutely if you use your PC for gaming or anything else demanding.

Well I cant play a lot of fps games, as my reaction times are not fast enough and now a lot of fps games require lots of keys that I can't manage todo. So all the games I play still run smoothly, as I mainly play racing games, so upgrading to the 8700k would be very nice, but I wouldn't see hardly any game improvement, maybe windows would be a tad snappier tho?

Sounds like you want to upgrade but your happy as you are? Only you can decide, if your happy as you are I would say it'd be a waste of money, If you want to future proof it's the only way to start moving forward. Do you play Forza 7? Interest to hear what you get in that?

Soldato
The latest Windows Creator update has apparently removed stuttering from Forza 7,but AFAIK the only tests have been with people using 4C/8T and 6C/12T CPUs. So I don't know if it fixes it with 4C/4T chips.

Do you games get run off your SSD,or the HDD??

Caporegime
if you on a 60hz monitor id suggest a new higher refresh rate.its one of the best gaming upgrades you can make.especially for fps and racing games.

if you on a i5 or even older i7 the jump to a 8700k will be massive.

Back
Top Bottom