• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Associate
Hi,

I've got a new 8700K for a week now and I really like it so far. However, I noticed one strange setting. The CPU speed is set to 3700 MHz (UEFI) where it should be at stock but the cache speed is 4400 MHz. I'm clearly no expert but in my opinion that's not normal. I've loaded the UEFI default and even flashed the UEFI to the new version 1.3, so there should be nothing wrong with my settings - the problem is still there.

I also noticed, that my CPU speed won't really clock down. Even if there's just one browser tab, a video playing, MS Word, Power Point, Netflix or any other light stuff running, it's almost all the time between 4 GHz and 4.3 GHz while there's only a usage of 1 to 5% according to the task manager. The only time where the speed will decrease is running literally nothing and watching my desktop background.

Since I'm doing some office work on this PC, I'd really like it to automatically lower the speed for real silence. Finding out what causes that wired cache speed would be great as well. The motherboard is an ASRock Z370 Professional i7 and the CPU as I said an 8700K. Intel Speed Step is enabled.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your answer. I'm glad to hear that the speed is normal. I just wondered, since my old CPU (4790K) had the same core and cash speeds at stock.

I've checked my power plan in Windows and it seems to be set to balanced. Maybe it's normal for the chip to speed up faster?

Associate
I did a build with the 7700K for someone as the speeds and frequencies were all over the place with the temps. Did some research and found a impressive Intel forum post with about 90 pages of complaints about this. Would have hopped they would have fixed in the 8700K though

Soldato
Thanks for your answer. I'm glad to hear that the speed is normal. I just wondered, since my old CPU (4790K) had the same core and cash speeds at stock.

I've checked my power plan in Windows and it seems to be set to balanced. Maybe it's normal for the chip to speed up faster?
Check that C-states and Speedshift are enabled in the BIOS. Also, reset the balanced power plan to default settings in case it was modified.

Soldato
Try changing your minimum processor state in your power options. Powersaver by default is only 5%
On performance i have minimum and maximum on both 100% so it never downclocks.

Back
Top Bottom