• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8800GTS and HALO - issues

Associate
Just got a 8800GTS and with both 97.02 and 97.44 drivers I have the same issue in HALO. I am not getting issues in any other games so I can only assume it's exclusive to this title, so my obvious question is, is this a known issue with HALO and the G80 drivers?

I know some of you will say it's simple, don't play HALO. Problem is my 8yr old loves playing me on LAN and whooping me, so I am stuck with it.

Basically, the problem is that any character in the game, including what you can see of Master Chief, have long solid lines coming out of them.

During the opening scenes when you go to see the Captain, it's particularly funny cuz the Captain is just solid lines, but if you get close to him he still has a wicked pair of eyeballs floating in mid air (you have to be there I guess to appreciate the comedy value).

Where do I find instructions on how to post images, and I will put a couple up?

Last edited:
Soldato
take a screenshot by using the print screen button on the keyboard....paste it into mspaint or something and save as a jpg. Then go to imageshack.us and upload the image....once it's done copy and paste the appropriate bb code into a post..

Associate
OP
dscf0054cm2.jpg

dscf0053zq8.jpg

Easy, like you say the whole game is smooth as silk, except this. It still runs perfectly without any stuttering etc.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
3dmark05gh8.jpg

[img=http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/4257/3dmark05mw2.th.jpg]

The first issue that has arisen with '05, is that a lot of the tests stalled bigtime and then only got up to 3-4 fps.

I guess the warning at the end about the nv4_display driver being a problme could just mean I need to really persevere with trying to get the driver to install cleanly?

Have already tried about 10 times using drivercleaner pro and every bit of advice I can glean from the forums, inc. a couple of new installs.

My set up is: e6600, 2x1 gb GEIL 6400, DS4, eVGA 8800GTS with no OC on anything. I assume that if the driver error didn't happen then the 3d Mark score should be way higher on this setup at 1024 x 768 with no AA?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I brought it last week with the rest of the components mate. I did buy two identical rigs though, and the other one has a 7900GS OC in it, so if it is a borked card rather than a driver issue, I can swap it into the other rig aswell and confirm that it is not another component US.

I was hoping for at least 7000+ in 2006 so yeah, the score in 05 is bad to say the least.

Unless someone comes in with another idea, I am going to persevere with the drivers until Monday, then return it under the DSR and get the BFG 8800GTX instead for the extra £45.

Associate
would have thought that even 7K is on the conservative side. Certainly would expect to see more like 13-14K in 05. Did you do a clean install of Windows? If so, and you're sure about the drivers being ok then it does look like the card is knackered.

Associate
Hi,

You should be aiming at around 8900 in 3dmark06 your setup is similar to mine, I have a slight oc on the cpu though.

I have the latest nvidia drivers and the only game I have had weird glitches so far is the test drive unlimited beta.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well, have just used drivercleaner and got rid of the nvidia drivers and used cab cleaner too, and deleted any trace of nvidia I can find (I have tried it ten time snow).

If it doesn't sort it, then it's a quick swap into my other PC, and if there is no change it's going home to OCUK.

Associate
OP
First run through, crashed after test one to BSOD.

Second run through, with fan on max instead of auto, made it all the way, score 13,800.

Gonna give it the once over with the fan on auto, just incase it's a heat problem (don't think so).

Will then give it a spin on '06.

I am really hoping it's drivers related and its looking that way.

Associate
OP
Exactly the same score with fan on auto so I guess it is definitely a driver issue or something else with the card.

Just gotta run it through 06 now to see how it goes, but the 05 score seems pretty respectable I think.

HALO still has the same issue though, even though everything in the game apart from the characters looks absolutely sublime!!

Associate
OP
I am really pleased somebody else is having this issue.

Could I just ask, assuming you have run them, what scores you are getting on 3dMark 05 and 06?

I can't get past the second test in 2006, although all the tests after will run fine. Seems a few people over on the eVGA forums are getting the same issue with 2006 at exactly the same point, so I am really starting to think it is drivers...

Associate
Could it be a power issue? On my x1900xt I was getting crashes unless I set my fan to max all the time. Thought it was a heat issue and was considering water.

At the time I wasn't using PCIE psu and had a hd running on the same line. Took it off and found I could set fan back to auto with no crashes and much pleasure to my ears. I finaly got myself a tagen but just wondering what your using to power it?

Associate
Dang those pics look bad. If switching drivers doesn't help RMA it.
I'm not sure if ATI tool support the G80, but you could try the artifact detection, also video card stability test will give you an score about your video card only.
I have a 7800GS+ and I have an score like a 7900GT (2200), so you should get about 5000 or 6000.
It has also artifact detection mode.
Also I use to check the bus (like your PCI ex settings) ArchMark , if you bandwidth is less than expected, the bus settings are wrong, a G80 should be over 65 to 75 GB/s depending the memory frequency.
Good luck.

Associate
OP
Johny Boy said:
Could it be a power issue? On my x1900xt I was getting crashes unless I set my fan to max all the time. Thought it was a heat issue and was considering water.

At the time I wasn't using PCIE psu and had a hd running on the same line. Took it off and found I could set fan back to auto with no crashes and much pleasure to my ears. I finaly got myself a tagen but just wondering what your using to power it?

Am using a Corsair HX620, which "should" be more than ample. When I get a minute to swap it into my other rig which is identicle besides the GPU, I can rule out a whole range of faulty things hopefully, but if I get the same faults in that rig, it's still a toss up between the card and the drivers being the issue.

To return the card to OCUK under the Distance Selling Regs is still an option, but it is gonna cost me £30 there and back for postage, including the replacement, plus I really am starting to think it is all drivers.

I played Far Cry at 1920 x 1200 maxed out last night for two hours with not one issue, the same with Call of Duty 2 and a few others, if it wasn't for HALO I would never have thought there was a problem.

Back
Top Bottom