• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8800gts psu question

Soldato
hi there i might have a job soon and if i get one im thinking of picking up one of the 8800gts 320mb cards and was wondering if my psu has enough power to get it running properly its a FSP Blue Storm 500 watt psu.

also im using a asrock dual-vsta motherboard running a agp x800gto in it at the moment and got a 3700 sandy@stock (yes i know...) with a gig of ram my other concern is if that graphics card will be ok in my main board? also how much of a bottleneck would my cpu be?

thx in adavnce :)

500W is the minimum suggested PSU for the 8800 640mb GTS I ordered, your on the knifes edge, ill be running on a 525W and am im still nervous, you can try it but if you get problems with random restarts you will need a phatter PSU. If you O/C you will probably need a bigger PSU anyway as you are on the minimum spec, just a guess on that one tho, I dont know much about PSU voltages on O/C's when you are running on the minimum.

unless that is a cheap power supply (dont no the name) then I would be amazed if you had problems, unless you running loads of HDD or something.
Your CPU will defo be a bottle neck unless you get it overclocked and even then it my still be a little slow

also feel free to ignore the comments about your 3700 being too slow. I have a 4000 @ stock and it's nearly doubled my framerates in some things going from an X1800. Even the Conroe's are a "bottleneck" unless you oc them. Able to run pretty much anything at 1280x1024 with AA and AF on the GTS.

As above m8 it might be right, but my opteron at 2.5 GHz was bottlenecking my x1800xt loads, a difference of 70 fps to 160 fps in css. Not sure what it would have done to my 8800 GTS as Id added my c2d and overclocked to 2.8GHz by then

I aint saying you wont get an improvement but you wont be getting the best out of it, atleast in HL2 engine which i admit is very cpu limited

I'm not saying that a switch to a better cpu is pointless, just didn't want the op to think that upgrading to the 8800 would be pointless based on his current cpu. My 3DMark05 score is just as good as plenty of others on E6300's (@ stock admittedly).

esoteric said:
500W is the minimum suggested PSU for the 8800 640mb GTS I ordered, your on the knifes edge, ill be running on a 525W and am im still nervous, you can try it but if you get problems with random restarts you will need a phatter PSU. If you O/C you will probably need a bigger PSU anyway as you are on the minimum spec, just a guess on that one tho, I dont know much about PSU voltages on O/C's when you are running on the minimum.

lol. a decent 520w would run two of them. stop worrying, thats if you have a decent psu of course.

zytok said:
I'm not saying that a switch to a better cpu is pointless, just didn't want the op to think that upgrading to the 8800 would be pointless based on his current cpu. My 3DMark05 score is just as good as plenty of others on E6300's (@ stock admittedly).

I agree it aint a pointless upgrade, and tbh m8 if you are bottlenecking just add some more AA and AF or up the res if u can

I for one would much rather have my games doing 60fps with 4xAA, 16xAF than 200fps without. CSS players may well disagree but I like having vsync on to stop the visual tearing.

zytok said:
I for one would much rather have my games doing 60fps with 4xAA, 16xAF than 200fps without. CSS players may well disagree but I like having vsync on to stop the visual tearing.

i dont. i run css @ 16xaa and the framerate is still > 60fps lol. i dont use vsync as the tear isnt that bad on my rig, i do limit the fps to 120 though.

off line games I would agree, however online in css anything below 100 fps and I can feel if not see the difference

EDIT: worth baring in mind m8 that the 1 Gig of ram will stop you maxing out the odd game. Only fear and black and white 2 that I can think of. I benched both of them using 1.5 Gig.

Not a big deal tho as you can just drop the texture size to bring it below a Gig

Last edited:
zytok said:
I'm running one on a 350W Seasonic without any issues so would be amazed if you did.

Do you know how many Amps you have on your 12v rail?
I have the 380W S12 and was wondering if it was enough to power the GTS

Well seeing these replys makes me content, thought my 500w was the bear minimum going by the big warning have at bottom of the page when looking at 8800GTS cards (most likely Nvidia insisted on that warning) :rolleyes: Still going to wait for the new Ati cards & 8900's coz i expect the 8800GTS card will come down another £40 to £60 in price. ;)

Back
Top Bottom