• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8800gtx + supreme commander anyone?

Associate
Has any1 played the Beta with an 8800gtx yet?

im running it on SLI 7800gtx's and it runs ok but it does lag once theres lots of units, the weird thing is tho that it runs the same with loads of units even if i drop the gfx from 1680x1050 4aa etc down to 1024 with everything turned off

im guessing that its probably just not quite coded right only being in BETA at the moment

but im also wondering if anyone is getting any amazing results with this game and a 8800 series card as supreme commander is supposed to be a DX10 game

Soldato
looking at your CPU i say thats the bottle neck RTS's ep of this nature (ie 100's of highly detail units) hammer the CPU on things like AI animation and just plane sending vertex data to the GPU , OC the cpu and i bet u notist the differnce , myself on a opt 165 running at 3ghz with a single 1900xt (not clocked) runs the beta very good at that res with 4aa and 8af , then again it is a beta

Soldato
the CPU is very important in this game. I haven't been as lucky as you to get the beta but I have been following the development very closely and for what it seems people with Dual Core is getting amazing results :)

Associate
OP
ok, cheers for that

ye I know my cpu needs updating, im waiting on the new quad core kenstfield cpu's to come out before doing so though, then im going to re-do my entire PC for dx10

Soldato
In fact, I have just upgraded the computer due to Supreme Commander.

My new CPU is an Athlon X2 4800+ S939 and I have paired it with a GeForce 7950GX2 (that I bought second hand :) )

I recommend you to buy an X2 cpu, they are amazing! :)

Soldato
i too am also in the process of completely rebuilding my comp for this game, kentsfield and duel screens me thinks, possibly 1 or 2 86gt's too.. shoud be sufficient :D

But yeah, it will be your cpu thats the bottleneck, same with any strat game really, happens on gernerals too with me, turn all settings to lowest, same slow down issues with lots of units...

Associate
MuSsEr said:
Has any1 played the Beta with an 8800gtx yet?

im running it on SLI 7800gtx's and it runs ok but it does lag once theres lots of units, the weird thing is tho that it runs the same with loads of units even if i drop the gfx from 1680x1050 4aa etc down to 1024 with everything turned off

im guessing that its probably just not quite coded right only being in BETA at the moment

but im also wondering if anyone is getting any amazing results with this game and a 8800 series card as supreme commander is supposed to be a DX10 game

You are CPU limited, upgrade or overclock.

Associate
OP
will be doing so :)

planning on:

Quad Core Kenstfield
2gig DDR2
whatever the top mobo at the time is
another 20.1" belinea monitor (for dual screen supreme commander)
since iv got SLI 7800's im gona wait on the gfx cards at the moment as graphically they seem to run the game (and everything else) amazingly, so i'll wait til some better DX10 cards come out before changing them

Soldato
theres a few people on here specificaly getting 2 monitors for it. Can it use 2 independantly or are people just going for one big viewable area. Cause if I went for that I would like want one as the full screen map and another as the game area.

Associate
oxygene said:
theres a few people on here specificaly getting 2 monitors for it. Can it use 2 independantly or are people just going for one big viewable area. Cause if I went for that I would like want one as the full screen map and another as the game area.

AFAIK you can have for instance the game screen on your monitor, and the world map zoomed out on the other. I dont think its properly implemented in the beta though.

Associate
OP
you basically have two screens which you can mvoe around individually, you can leave one zoomed right out to map view and move the other around as normal or you could leave one at your base in normal view and use the other screen to go off an attack with so that when you want to rebuild while microing your fight you dont have to scroll right back to your base or w/e

i dont know if dual screen is in the beta but i know that split screen is, if you press HOME and END it turns it on and off and works in a very similar way in which the dual monitor will work

I will be buying another belinea 102035W 20.1" widescreen just for this game :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
This is the official statement regarding quad core and supreme commander:

"Gas Powered Games has had the opportunity with our Supreme Commander title to be on the leading edge of working with Intel’s Quad Core. The performance and experience enhancements we’ve seen implementing our multi-threaded architecture on Intel’s multi-core systems has shown us that these technologies will represent the minimum bar for the future of advanced gaming." -- Kent McNall, Gas Powered Games

Back
Top Bottom