£90 "charge notice" from Lidl's parking. Wow.

Soldato
I thought it was the case that the fine itself was in contravention of the unfair contract terms act, as any fines imposed are not meant to be punitive and only be a way of recovering increased costs due to one party not fulfilling the contract. Hence with a parking fine they could sue for any loss of earnings caused by you overstaying, such as what you should have paid for the time spent parked, but a fine of £45 is not reasonable as the whole point is to punish you.

Sounds like a judge has decided that not to be the case if companies are being successful in court :(

The vast vast majority of court cases these companies win are when the defendant doesn't file a defence, or doesn't show up (get scared off or can't be bothered), so by default the court rules in favour of the company.

Associate
I've gone in a car park and mysteriously disappeared before. Car broke down in a motorway services with ANPR watching the entrance/exit as you're only allowed 2 hours free. AA guy said to keep right behind him on the way out so the camera couldn't see my number plate.

Associate
exploits_of_a_mom.png

Good luck fitting it all on the number plate though :p

Soldato
These horrible ANPR parking cameras. A few months back I posted about a near miss with my other halves cambelt. It broke down in a Pets at home car park. We had Green Flag out who recovered it only to get a parking fine 3 months later.

She spoke to the store who called the contractor at the time. Yet they still got our reg on the back of the low loader and tried to claim we had parked too long.

Managed to sort it now but these parking firms are parasites. Do they really think we would go to the lengths of parking our car then getting it low loaded to avoid a parking ticket?

Believe me that is what they suggested on the phone.

Soldato
Apparently loads of people in Worksop are getting £100 fines for pretty much just driving through the Priory Shopping Centre car park.

The thing that is really dodgy here is it is extremely easy to end up in there without even knowing unless you know the area as it's down a one way street & not signposted meaning you have no option other than to drive through it or go through a no entry sign & risk 3 points.

Even sat nav will take you through it and the google street view car went through it.

Associate
Apparently loads of people in Worksop are getting £100 fines for pretty much just driving through the Priory Shopping Centre car park.

The thing that is really dodgy here is it is extremely easy to end up in there without even knowing unless you know the area as it's down a one way street & not signposted meaning you have no option other than to drive through it or go through a no entry sign & risk 3 points.

Even sat nav will take you through it and the google street view car went through it.

Is that down to there not being say a 10 minute window where you don't trigger a ticket being sent out to you to allow you to get out if you didn't want to park? Think I found it on google, if there aren't clear signs on the way in then I doubt they would win in court if you were to fight it.

Soldato
ANPR is an excellent system when used in a responsible manner for legitimate purposes such as uninsured vehicles, fuel theft from petrol stations etc.
Private companies can also use it to blow the wind up people too, with the aid of some very vague and sometimes non existent contract law.

I'm sure it's not being abused by any of the hundreds, possibly thousands of pirate clamping firms that suddenly lost their income stream when the law changed.

Last edited:
Soldato
ANPR is an excellent system when used in a responsible manner for legitimate purposes such as uninsured vehicles, fuel theft from petrol stations etc.
Private companies can also use it to blow the wind up people too, with the aid of some very vague and sometimes non existent contract law.

I'm sure it's not being abused by any of the hundreds, possibly thousands of pirate clamping firms that suddenly lost their income stream when the law changed.

Thank god these clamping companies did get the rug pulled out from under their feet.

So many were run by crooks or ex crooks who exploited it. A lot of the time illegally.

The people who it has really suffered is those who were suspectly clamped or those trying to protect private parking they pay for lawfully.

Soldato
Thank god these clamping companies did get the rug pulled out from under their feet.

So many were run by crooks or ex crooks who exploited it. A lot of the time illegally.

The people who it has really suffered is those who were suspectly clamped or those trying to protect private parking they pay for lawfully.

It's a double edged sword, whilst that is undoubtedly good, they are now handing out speculative invoices at your local supermarket carparks and running residents permit rackets.

zYx

zYx

Associate
OP
I emailed them asking for cancellation or POPLA code. I didn't provide any details off course.

I will deal with my local LIDL's manager in due course.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom