£90 for emptying pumping petrol out a deisel car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
£10's worth of petrol in a diesel car wouldnt have probably caused any problems, provided the tank was then fully brimmed with diesel, depends on what type of car it was too though.

Associate
Stephen7372 said:
Is that reasonable she put £10 of petrol in :D

All depends on what they did really, did they come and pick the car up ?

Collect car
Drain tank
Change fuel filter
2 Gallons diesel
prime fuel system

Would be about an 1 hours labour plus parts and collection, so in that case £90 would not be extortionate.

Permabanned
no problem with doing this (petrol in a diesel) Keeps things lubricrated in a nice fashion especially during the winter months. Its the other way around you really do not want to try :(

Soldato
Faithless said:
no problem with doing this (petrol in a diesel) Keeps things lubricrated in a nice fashion especially during the winter months. Its the other way around you really do not want to try :(

I thought diesel in a petrol wouldn't cause much harm, but petrol in a diesel can really mess it up?

Or am I reading your post wrong? ;)

Soldato
Diesel = Lubricant
Petrol = Solvent

Petrol in an old school diesel engine won't cause any problems up to about 20%.

Modern high pressure systems could be ruined by even small amounts, and replacement parts cost thousands.

Permabanned
MonkeyMan said:
I thought diesel in a petrol wouldn't cause much harm, but petrol in a diesel can really mess it up?

Or am I reading your post wrong? ;)
Put diesel in a petrol will see you travel around 100yds then conk out - depending on how much you put in of course. In fact, the diesel nozzle wont physically fit into a petrol neck filler. Even priming the ignition can do damage and if you drive, you can probably say buy buy to your injectors, CAT, etc.

As has been said, petrol in old skool diesels isnt bad, newer one, I wouldnt risk it.

Soldato
Unlucky.
I doubt the car is worth 90 quid lol and a tenner's worth of diesel would have, arguably, done no harm as long as she filled up will diesel straight after and left the fuel cap open for a bit.

Associate
Faithless said:
As has been said, petrol in old skool diesels isnt bad, newer one, I wouldnt risk it.

Sure i read autocar/topgear/autoexpress not so long ago where one of the staff reporters brimmed a tdci with petrol ran it for the tankful and only realised when he went thru his receipts at the end of the week.

Tho not to be reccomended, no damage was noted!!

Soldato
Faithless said:
Petrol in a modern common rail or PD diesel is the worst possible combination due to the very high injector pressures involved. You'll totally, utterly screw up the fuel system by doing this.

Soldato
i got told when i bought my mondy TDCi by my mate (head mechanic for our local Ford dealer) that if i ever put petrol in it, do not start it, modern diesels (common rail) work under extremely high pressure etc he told me.

Soldato
Deisel in a petrol car won't hurt anything if it's not more than 10% per volume.

My next door neighbor has put one gallon Deisel in to every 10 gallons petrol for more years than I've been driving. His old Ford F-150 had almost 150,000 miles on it and was going strong when he traded it in on a brand new F-250, which he still runs his D/P mixture in. He says he gets about a 5-10% increase in fuel mileage with it. Thinking about trying it in my truck some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom