£900 Alfa Diesel 148,000 Miles. Crazy?

Associate
because when they were all new, the alfa was significantly less of a car than the others

i rock a shonky old golf (2000 W reg) but its all looked after, everything that needed to be replaced has been, but compare a 2000 golf to a 2000 alfa, back in 2000, is like comparing manure and ice cream, and its the same today, albeit worse because a £900 alfa wont have been looked after
what a load of tosh

Soldato
148,000 Miles on an alfa??? that must be a new world record!!!

aviod imo unless you like fixing it more than driving it

No it has got a long way to go to get close to my old 75 Twin Spark. My ex-wife use to run her up and the motorway every day from Ashford in Kent to Leatherhead in Surrey. We retired it at 235,000 miles because we moved and didn't need 2 cars. It had 2 clutches, 4x sets front brakes and 2x sets of rear. Other than that standard servicing which wasn't a lot as it was the old cam chain engine.

Be honest it was a very reliable car.

The OP might want to check out the Alfaowner forum as they are a fountain of knowledge there and very helpful.

Last edited:
Soldato
Currently rocking an £800 MG ZS diesel while I'm doing a silly 80 mile commute, with 140k on the clock.

When buying any older car all you really need to do is research for a list of common failure points and buy something with as much of that work done as possible to minimise risk.

Mine just had a new clutch, CV joints, MAF, exhaust and cambelt, and has no rust even underneath. It's a bit battered though.

Join an owners club of the car you want and ask away. Nice free way of watching out for issues.

Soldato
148,000 Miles on an alfa??? that must be a new world record!!!

aviod imo unless you like fixing it more than driving it

I've read about them being higher!

This car sounds like the check list for buying an unreliable car

-Alfa - check
-High mileage -check
-Diesel - check

Part of me thinks its so much the stereotypical unreliable car, Sod's law will dictate it turns out OK!

However, being more subjective about it, the 1.9 is the same engine going into fiat, vauxhall, Saab amongst others. These aren't unreliable engines, the EGR is the biggest worry here but they're not expensive. In the case of Saab, it's a ~200 quid part from the dealer but buy one for a vectra from a vauxhall dealer (same part) and its more like 80.

At this mileage the clutch has almost certainly already been done - make sure the documentation has this and a cambelt/water pump recently. The turbo, if its not noisy or burning oil then it wouldn't worry me too much. Suspension, brakes and the like are quite cheap on the 147.

Electrics and bits of interior trim dropping off are probably the biggest issue so make sure everything works and check for bodged wiring under the bonnet.

Lets be honest, it's not going to be a completely worry free car but its not as much of a guaranteed instant explosion as some would say. The car has got to 150k miles hasn't it? You could probably pay 800 for it and get something that looks much nicer than other hatchbacks, is good on fuel and enjoyable to drive.

Soldato
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...6690c78135d4d9ce1973b94373300eb&LNX=SYCCJLINK

Anyone got the balls to buy that? Looks lovely and I'm sure if something major broke you could break it for parts and make a profit!

Thats what I was looking for before I bought the 156 V6. I could only find tired, neglected examples in my budget but they sell for the reason you stated above. People still pay a lot for a good secondhand V6 Alfa.

A lot of restorers of classic Alfa's tend to modernize to the 24 valve 3.0 litre. A decent engine will cost £400 cheapest even with over 100k on it.

Here is my £600 V6. She has over 100k on the clock but you would never know it to look or drive. The service history is to die for with literally thousands of pounds spent over the last 3 years doing the whole suspension, brakes and cam belt. There are still good ones to be had. If she gives up and is going to cost me silly money, I know I can still get a good sum back on the engine and box.

Shes been busy today jump starting neighbours cars that have gone flat lol

Last edited:
Soldato
No idea how this thread showed up, but posting in a 4 year old thread is nowhere near as bad as diesel Alfa Romeo. That worse than a diesel convertable and someone or ones has been at it for 150k miles.

Last edited:
Soldato
Diesel anything trying to be remotely sporty is lol. A convertable just sounds like your forever being chased by a transit van.

Back
Top Bottom