930 or 950?

Associate
I'm looking to get a new computer, spec located > http://i34.tinypic.com/b8qy44.png

But I've been told by a few people to wait for the core i7 950,

I was hoping to overclock the 930 to 4ghz,

Does anyone know what the 950 is like for overclocking?

This is my first real build, and my first overclock..

Can anyone give me anytips/pointers? I have done some research into overclocking..

RJC

RJC

Don
They both should do around 4ghz with ease, the 950 would be slightly easier due to the higher multiplier.

On your system spec I would the hard drives to the Samsung F3 1TB & 500GB, As the 1tb WD drive is a green drive which utilises a slower spin speed, also the price has increased.

Permabanned
The Gfx card has 2- DVI-I while the screens are DVI-D so I will have to get a converter..

Standard DVI-D cables will do the trick no problem, no need for adapters as DVI-D cables will work in DVI-I sockets as they have fewer pins rather than more. :) Check here.

Looking at getting a couple of those BenQ 24" LED monitors myself, wondering if the improved clarity and contrast will match my old 24" iMac's IPS display.

Associate
OP
Standard DVI-D cables will do the trick no problem, no need for adapters as DVI-D cables will work in DVI-I sockets as they have fewer pins rather than more. :) Check here.

Looking at getting a couple of those BenQ 24" LED monitors myself, wondering if the improved clarity and contrast will match my old 24" iMac's IPS display.

ahh thankyou :) I will let you know what I think of mine! I have heard great reviews off friends, and my boss has one and I have to say what I have seen from it It is Crystal clear and very good! :)

im planning on getting this too

Associate
avoid vraptors like the plague

they cost ridiculous amounts when you'll be able to get the same speeds for less than £30 with a F4 320GB or way higher speeds now with a couple of F3 500GB or 1TB's in RAID 0 for £66 or £88

Associate
OP
would air cooling be sufficient for overclock on 930/950. I'll be getting a antec 902 case, Sharkoon 120mm fan + Prolimatech Megahalems CPU cooler. Or should I invest in water cooled system?

Soldato
Air cooling will be sufficient, you will just run at higher temps than a water cooled system, but for a lot less money/hassle :p

the temps you should probably look at @ 4ghz are between 70-75*c on full load with that air cooler, which will be fine.

Associate
OP
I'm actually thinking about maybe going water cooled instead now.

A friend has said the Antec 900/902/1200 cases are very loud. my computer would be 1-2 meters away from my bed and I tend to leave my computer on over night, Especially when downloading. This would most likely keep me awake if this was the case. Although 70-75C is okay temp for CPU overclocking I would prefer it to be a bit cooler..

I've been looking at the Crosair H50-1

Can anyone recommend either or anything else if better?

Soldato
Someone earned themselves a holiday.

In reply to the thread however, for the money you may spend on a H70 consider going custom watercooling. Just need to be confident in what you are doing.

Associate
OP
I didn't realise, My bad, Won't happen again.

Still undecided on the H70 or the XSPC X20 750, Hmm. I Don't think i'll need a water cooled graphics card, butt would be handy for future upgrades if I do decided to get one at a later date

Back
Top Bottom