939 to i7 - key components only - advice please!

Associate
I've decided to upgrade from my current 939 system to i7 and would appreciate a little advice on specifying the key components, ie. MB, CPU (+cooler), RAM, PSU. My current 939 system is as follows:

MB - DFI LanParty UT NF4 SLI-D
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego
RAM - Corsair 2GB DDR XMS4000PT TwinX (2x1GB) CAS3
PSU - Hiper Type R 580W

GPU - XFX Geforce 8800 GTX 768mb (keep)
HDD - Western Digital Caviar Special Edition 250GB (keep)
Case - Lian-Li PC-V1000 Plus Black (keep)
TFT - Hazro HZ24Wi 24” LCD (keep)

From the above list you can see what I plan to upgrade and which items I plan to keep, therefore the components i've considered to upgrade to i7 is as follows:

63243101.jpg

I've gone with the Asus P6T MB as I believe its a safe bet but i'm tempted to go with the SE version as its significantly cheaper (not sure what the difference is between the two).

I've gone with the Noctua as I can't find the Akasa Nero anywhere (in stock)!!

I'm not a huge overclocker but i'd like the flexibilty to be able to - any help would be appreciated - budget between £600 - £700.

Cheers

Soldato
I would swap the Noctua for a Thermalright TRUE 120 1366 and also go for the OEM version of the CPU rather than retail seeing as you are getting a 3rd party cooler. Also change the RAM to these They are cheaper, but more overclockable and have a higher voltage :D

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies.

I've replaced the RAM with the cheaper OCZ.

The Thermalright is 'Out of Stock' at the minute on OcUK!

The Retail version of the 920 is actually cheaper than the OEM (TWO).

Does anyone know what motherboard to go for, the Asus P6T SE is extremely tempting (£165) but I don't know what the difference is with regard to the Asus P6T (£205)

By changing the RAM & MB, I can save myself £64!!

Soldato
The only big difference with the P6T SE and the original is that the SE only does Crossfire and not SLi as to where the normal P6T does both...I have the SE and its not bad a board...it has good overclock features on it...but I got back my P6T Deluxe V2 so I am using that now :D

Soldato
Yeah, stick with the SE unless SLi is a big draw for you.

Get ready to be blown away - that is a massive upgrade. I'd look into changing the HD next as that will be holding your performance back a bit.

VoG

VoG

Soldato
ive got the P6T SE, i can't fault it tbh for the money, runs my 920 at a steady 4GHz. never been interested in SLI so i didn't see the point in paying for a feature i wouldn't use. so for a "budget" X58 mobo i'm v happy with it.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replies and advice. I've managed to get my funds into check and have tweaked it slightly, see below:

i7spec.jpg

But I'm very hesitant as with all the rumours of i5 and the lower end i7 chips being discontinued should I still go for the above spec or wait?

Its not as if I’m going from a C2D or C2Q, this will be a major step-up for me regardless.

I generally upgrade the major components after at least 2 years (3years this time), should I really worry about future upgrades as by that stage there could be a new socket out!

Thanks

edit: hate having to pay full price delivery on postage to N.I.

Associate
I'm in the exact same situation waiting to upgrade my 939, I was all set for i7 but only holding off because of worries about the future.

If I buy an i7 now and when i5 comes out they stop making the cheaper i7's it could cost a fortune to replace it.

Associate
OP
Yeah, its a tricky one but i'm not sure whether it depends on how often you plan to upgrade - if its 6months/ 1year i'd probably avoid the i7 and see how things pan out but I know that it'll be at least 2-3 years before i'll look to change.

I guess its looking for reassurance that this is the correct route to follow at present!

I'm currently without a computer for the house as the PSU has gone (dreaded Hiper had to fail at some point, although after warranty :() so looking to upgrade pretty soon!

Soldato
If I buy an i7 now and when i5 comes out they stop making the cheaper i7's it could cost a fortune to replace it.

When was the last time you, or an acqaintance, suffered a CPU failure?

I would wager never, I've only ever had it happen once and that was due to a power overload and that can be guarded against with a decent PSU and a surge protector.

Associate
^^^

Can't say I have heard of a processor failure that wasn't caused by overvolting so I guess when/if the cheaper i7's are removed, be a bit sensible with it!

Back
Top Bottom