• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

939 X2

Soldato
Crossy said:
what!! why have they been stopped being made?...whats the replacement?

Amd has made AM2, which is performing worse than Conroe (intels new CPU).

Depending on the rest of your system you could go for Conroe instead, and get the AGP Conroe motherboard, and the new COnroe E6300... (the whole thing will cost you around 160 pounds). You will still be able to use your old DDR1 ram too, till you have the cash to go DDR2. OCuk does NOT sell the board in question, so you will have to search for it by yourself sorry.

Associate
OP
yeah, im actually using a 7900GTO and i have been thinking of moving over to a conroe setup even though my Latest build is less than 2 month old. So would i only need the Mem, CPU and Mobo?

Permabanned
Crossy said:
yeah, im actually using a 7900GTO and i have been thinking of moving over to a conroe setup even though my Latest build is less than 2 month old. So would i only need the Mem, CPU and Mobo?

if your looking for a 939 CPU there are plenty of them around and in stock, just because OCUK hasnt got any in does not mean the world has stopped using 939. it simply means they have been unable to get stock or unwilling to get stock. and if all else fails you can always go buy an opteron 170 from the USA all from the comfort of your own web browser for slightly less than the retail prices here.

Permabanned
i just cant understand why amd brought am2 out, as it serves no purpose when socket 939 was as good as the 64s were going to get - with am2 having neglegeable perforamnce gain even with their use of ddr2 memory...it makes no sense to me why they just didnt stick the 939 until they had something significantly better than the athlon 64s/x2s to bring out to compete with the c2d or what intel are going to bring out next. :confused:

Permabanned
ghgh said:
i just cant understand why amd brought am2 out, as it serves no purpose when socket 939 was as good as the 64s were going to get - with am2 having neglegeable perforamnce gain even with their use of ddr2 memory...it makes no sense to me why they just didnt stick the 939 until they had something significantly better than the athlon 64s/x2s to bring out to compete with the c2d or what intel are going to bring out next. :confused:

it makes perfect sense its a stepping stone to AM3 :) as for DDR2, that will start to have an impact from AM2+ and K8L

Soldato
Yeh, 65nm but all that will mean is a lower CPU operating temperature. From what I've seen of the AM2 65nm chips, it will mean bugger all in terms of extra overclocking headroom.

Associate
Does anyone know when these new 939 chips will be available?

Been searching in vain for a 939 X2 but cant find them on google at all...dont really want to go to Conroe yet as i only upgraded a year ago and forking out for DDR2 and a new motherboard when all i need is another core (+ mhz) is too much.

Associate
You can find Dual Core Opteron 165 for a hundred in the UK! :)
They are essentially the finest Dual Core 939 cpus made by AMD. They come with 2x1mb cache, and reach 2.6ghz with ease. If you are on 939 and look for a cheap high end upgrade, get the 165 if you will overclock it.

Permabanned
well i found one for £106 delivered its gonna be better than what I have should get a bit back for selling 3200 so not bad really considering you cant source any new X2 939 chips and I don't want to be spending big on a whole ram/MB/Cpu upgrade just yet

Soldato
porkrind said:
be a worth while upgrade from my [email protected] ghz ????????

asus a8n-e + x1800xt 512Mb + 2Gb corsair CL2

Depends on what you do really. But imo 165 is defo a worthwhile upgrade; 2.6Ghz is the least these chips can do, if you picked a golden stepping i.e CAB1E you will be able to reach 3Ghz+, provided that your mobo and RAM can keep up.

Associate
Your mobo is fine for overclocking the 165 :) I used the same board and it had no problems reaching 300HTT and beyond. Just make sure you have a recent bios and have 'floppy support' enabled in the bios.

Back
Top Bottom