970 capable at 144hz?

Associate
I've been using 60hz panels for a fair while now and the 970 can handle most games at a stable 60fps with quite decent settings. However I've been contemplating for years on going 144hz (120hz when It was around) but I'm not 100% sure my EVGA 970 can handle it? Sure, i'll have to turn down some settings to get higher frames etc, but will it be a worthwhile investment? I've had the card since January 16' and I'm most likely not going to upgrade anytime soon given current price and in general I'm out of the loop with newer hardware as I'm still running Haswell.

Current specs:
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC ACX
Avexir Core 8gb 1600mhz

Last edited:
Soldato
what sort of games do you play, because some games will benefit very little from going 144hz in my experience. I was mainly playing RPG style games and I couldn't tell a single bit of difference between 144hz and my previous 60hz IPS panel. It wasn't until I spent a shed load of time playing BF4 and some other FPS games that I noticed any real difference. I am using a 970 too. I had to dial down some of the settings though

Soldato
what sort of games do you play, because some games will benefit very little from going 144hz in my experience. I was mainly playing RPG style games and I couldn't tell a single bit of difference between 144hz and my previous 60hz IPS panel. It wasn't until I spent a shed load of time playing BF4 and some other FPS games that I noticed any real difference. I am using a 970 too. I had to dial down some of the settings though
Yeah adventure/RPG games barely benefit from higher frame rates at all. GTX 970 should cope decently though.

Associate
OP
Mostly playing BF4 / 1 and also BF2 when that comes out, so mostly FPS games. I've seen a AOC G2460PG going pretty cheap right now for £200, although its got crazy amounts of backlight bleed around the edges hence the price.

Soldato
you will probably see a decent difference then. YOu might need to dial down the settings though as I don't think a 970 would push BF1 @144hz on ultra settings without sinking your fps into the ground. I could be wrong though. I did auto detect best settings for most games I play and it sets them usually to high so I never bothered cranking them up to ultra as they played decently well on high and the graphics are still pretty good on high, just miss some of the extra eye candy which makes almost no difference to gameplay TBH

Soldato
There's gonna be a lot of games where you're not gonna be getting 100fps+ with decent settings at 1080p.

I'd recommend getting a Gsync display if you're gonna do this. That way there's zero problems if you're only able to hit something like 74fps in a game or whatever. That will still be better than 60fps and you dont have to worry about tearing or stutter from being at an awkward framerate versus your refresh rate.

Honestly, barring a great deal, I'd probably just hold off. Your current system is perfect for 1080p/60fps gaming and will likely continue to be for the rest of this console generation. Moving to 144hz will only expose your system's limitations and will probably give you an urge to upgrade it.

Back
Top Bottom