• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

9800 GX2 Cebit Pics.

Soldato
im obvioudly failing to explain what I though was a simple idea...

If you run SLI on 2 cards, then the mobo etc comes into play, and as far as im aware the second PCIe port doesnt run at full 16x. If you have 2 cards in 1 slot using an onboard chip to comunicate between them, the mobo doesnt come into play. There is an obvious difference in how the 2 chips comunicate...

There is every possibility this could have positive effects, negative effects, or no effect at all!

Its a theory, I have no proof, but then you also have no proof that im wrong!

Ahh, so you have one then.... cool. Get some benchies up!!

But the 2 card in one slot solution means both run at 8x, not 16x

Caporegime
Skeeter, I hope you wave the white flag when the card is out :D

What the hell?

Why would I wave the white flag? You seem to think ive set up some kind of camp outside this thread protesting that the 9800GX2 is AWSOME UBER AMZINGS!

I posted a theory, its for discussion, i no no facts and never claimed to be right...

imagin its an exam:

"The nVidia 9800GX2 uses a different arcitechture for communication between the 2 graphical cores than when using 2 sperate single GPU cards in SLI mode. This may have an effect upon the performace of the GX2 over an SLI configuration of identical cards. Discuss"

(little tip, the answer isnt 'OMG lecturer your so dont know what your talking about tbfh, owned!')

Caporegime
"The nVidia 9800GX2 uses a different arcitechture for communication between the 2 graphical cores than when using 2 sperate single GPU cards in SLI mode. This may have an effect upon the performace of the GX2 over an SLI configuration of identical cards. Discuss"

(little tip, the answer isnt 'OMG lecturer your so dont know what your talking about tbfh, owned!')

I have already given you the correct answer

It uses the same method as the 7950 GX2.

Last edited:
Soldato
I must admit I couldnt give a monkeys about whether ATI's 2 chip on one pcb solution is more elegant than nvidias sandwich solution.

Quite simply I will buy whichever one gives the best bang for the buck with a nod towards the fastest.

It seems quite clear that the GX2 is going to be faster than the X2, the only question is by how much and at what financial cost?

Caporegime
I must admit I couldnt give a monkeys about whether ATI's 2 chip on one pcb solution is more elegant than nvidias sandwich solution.

Quite simply I will buy whichever one gives the best bang for the buck with a nod towards the fastest.

It seems quite clear that the GX2 is going to be faster than the X2, the only question is by how much and at what financial cost?

2 x 8800 GT and a SLI mobo will be cheaper and be on par with one!

Soldato
Isn't the GX2 all about scaling and I think I read on Fud that you will be able to put 2 GX2's into an SLI mobo for quad sli. I wonder will games need to be made aware of quad sli via a profile before they will use it though.

Associate
Well, this is the card i've been waiting for, for so long.

Will read some reviews, benchies and test's 1st (rather than heresay that a lot of people are claiming here, before it's even in the shops) before taking the plunge though, but think it's on my shopping list soon.
That's after a few driver releases to.

Last edited:
Soldato
I dont normally reply to such stupid comments, but if two 8800 GT's in SLI are faster than the ATI X2, then how are two G92 GTS's strapped together going to be slower than the X2?

I said CF tech (from what I saw a while ago) was more efficient than SLi is.

and I said in THEORY, if the 8800s used in the GX2 = the 3870s in the X2 then the X2 should win.

However as the X2 starts with weaker cores then it still can't catch up.

I can't find where I saw this SLi/CF efficiency tests were as I've totally forgotten where it is or what it was called.

Soldato
based on that theory of efficency, take the 9600GTs. they scale remarkably well in SLI.
if nvidia can manage to get the same efficiency out of the 9800GX2 then this could be a very quick card indeed

Soldato
Found kinda what I remember seeing:

http://en.expreview.com/2007/11/26/hd-3870-crossfire-vs-8800gt-sli/?page=5

SLI was in the 40-60% range improvement most of the time
CF was in the 70-105% range improvement most of the time

Although with this review its on nvidias side:
http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?cat=grfx&id=580&pagenumber=12

And wow, 9600GT SLi is doing well
http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?cat=grfx&id=580&pagenumber=12

I think we need some new benchmarks from a unbiased source with latest drivers... we can wish lol

Last edited:
Soldato
Quad SLI doesn't work does it?

It's been a while, but when i was playing with 2x 7950gx2 somtimes it was slower than one half of one 7950gx2 (if you know what i mean) and in few games it was alittle faster. i came to the conculsion that it would only be worth going quad sli if you already had an sli board,psu,fast cpu and there was a BOGOF deal on the 7950gx2.

Soldato
I said CF tech (from what I saw a while ago) was more efficient than SLi is.

and I said in THEORY, if the 8800s used in the GX2 = the 3870s in the X2 then the X2 should win.

However as the X2 starts with weaker cores then it still can't catch up.

I can't find where I saw this SLi/CF efficiency tests were as I've totally forgotten where it is or what it was called.

http://en.expreview.com/2007/11/page/2/

cfsli1.png

cfsli2.png

pw.png

Final thoughts
From the test result we can notice in more than 90% items, Crossfire scale more better than SLI. In 60% test items CrossFire scale up more than 50% performance compare to single card. But in only 40% items SLI can scale up to 50%.

More surprisingly, in 30% items there’s more than 80% scale in Crossfire. But we can hardly find a 70% scale in SLI solutions. In one word to sum this up: ATi’s Crossfire is more efficiency than SLI.

It is known that HD 3870 is not powerful compare to 8800GT. and because 3870 and 8800GT are at the same price, so a single 3870 have no advantage compare to 8800GT. But Crossfire, this funtion somehow add more value to the product. Also there are lot’s of middle and high end mobo (P965, P35, X38… and AMD’s own mobo) supports Crossfire, But only NV’s chipset supports SLI so in multicard solution AMD already got enough firepower to fight with NV.

Back
Top Bottom