• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

9800GT

Associate
Hello,

been a while since I upgraded, so I'm currently on a 9800GT green edition gfx card.

My new screen is 4k, so I'm looking for a graphics card that exceeds 9800gt in games performance, but will display 4k Video for movies. I'm not after playing games at 4k as I'm more of a retro gamer and programmer. The highest res I'm likely to game at is 1920x1080 at most.

My preference is AMD as the mobo supports crossfire in case I get another gfx card in future, but I could easily be convinced to go for an Nvidia.

I've seen the nvidia 1030GT recommended as it has the required HDMI version, but can anyone suggest an alternative? My new CPU is an i5-750 with 8GB RAM, just to give some context.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

C

Caporegime
What sort of games will you be playing? (even at 1080P)

What power supply do you have? :)

a 1030 will certainly work, and be better than what you have, but I wonder if it might still be a bit lacking for what you are after.

Soldato
GTX 1050 ti would fit you perfectly, it runs with only PCI-E lane power so almost any PSU can run it. 1080p/60hz with decent settings is doable with that setup. If you want to save £30 then the 1050 non ti will also be decent.

If you want AMD the the RX 560/570 would also be a good punt, for the 570 though you will need a decent 350w+ PSU.

Associate
OP
Games like supreme commander, total annihilation, mafia, vietcong (as i said, retro). Occasionally might have a play on civ6 or mass effect but nothing too taxing. PSU is 700w.

Thanks

Associate
Don't get a 1030. Even a 1050Ti is a horrible GPU and you should get it as a bare minimum. You have to shell out the cash for decent performance.

4K scales down to 1080P well so that's not an issue, but the 1030 isn't even really a gaming card, though it is better than your 9800GT dinosaur.

Associate
OP
Like i said, i just want 4k video display for movies and desktop. For games only want to improve on the 9800gt. Any card that does that fulfils my requirements. The 550 nails it.

Back
Top Bottom