• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

9900k crash advice

Soldato
I’m looking for a little help/advice, I have my 9900k @5.1ghz(5ghz AVX), it’s stable as far as I’m concerned it passes an hour of real bench and AIDA64 with ease at max temps of 90c, but I’m getting a crash every now and again in world of warships (all other games run fine) it’s got me a bit puzzled because WoWS is by far one of the least taxing games I play, it’s just a total hard crash and needs to hold the power button to reset.

Permabanned
it’s stable as far as I’m concerned
it passes an hour of real bench and AIDA64 with ease
I’m getting a crash every now and again in world of warships

then its not stable.
My old 4790k was solid in prime @ 2hr's, but crashed in firefox. you can run all the test's in the world but if it crashes when you use the system in your day to day life then its not stable for you needs.

Bring down the clocks a little bit say 4.8Ghz, and see if you still get crashes

HRL

HRL

Soldato
VCORE too low?

Not sure if it’s the same with Intel chips but the only time I got that with my 2700X was with too low a CPU voltage.

I take it you’re running as low a VCORE as you can to keep the temps in check?

Soldato
OP
then its not stable.
My old 4790k was solid in prime @ 2hr's, but crashed in firefox. you can run all the test's in the world but if it crashes when you use the system in your day to day life then its not stable for you needs.

Bring down the clocks a little bit say 4.8Ghz, and see if you still get crashes
I don’t see how one game that isn’t anywhere near taxing as others I play for the same period of time makes my Overclock unstable, as I said my system has never crashed when playing hours of doom, CoD, BF or star wars battlefront2. The crash with WoWS is always within the first few games and then is fine afterwards.

Permabanned
I don’t see how one game that isn’t anywhere near taxing as others I play for the same period of time makes my Overclock unstable, as I said my system has never crashed when playing hours of doom, CoD, BF or star wars battlefront2. The crash with WoWS is always within the first few games and then is fine afterwards.

no two games tax the CPU in the same way, like i said my CPU was prime stable then a web browser crashed it.

the best test for a system is to use it. if it docent work its not stable and what you call stable may be very unstable for a different persons work load.
the only truly stable system is a stock one.

now onto fixing your problem.

Ram or GPU overclocked, a system crash docent have to be CPU related.
i am going to assume you have reinstalled the game and its upto date?

have you looked in the event viewer for problem around the time your crash happened.

Permabanned
VCORE too low?
Not sure if it’s the same with Intel chips but the only time I got that with my 2700X was with too low a CPU voltage.
I take it you’re running as low a VCORE as you can to keep the temps in check?

this is a good question.
dose the mobo have an option for idle Vcore? you may be undervaluing it for lower power usage, or ever a PLL problem with voltage droop in changing clock

Soldato
OP
no two games tax the CPU in the same way, like i said my CPU was prime stable then a web browser crashed it.

the best test for a system is to use it. if it docent work its not stable and what you call stable may be very unstable for a different persons work load.
the only truly stable system is a stock one.

now onto fixing your problem.

Ram or GPU overclocked, a system crash docent have to be CPU related.
i am going to assume you have reinstalled the game and its upto date?

have you looked in the event viewer for problem around the time your crash happened.
Ram running at it’s rated speed and the Gpu is running stock, I’m thinking it’s something to do with game because after it has crashed it runs fine the rest of the day

Soldato
Seems kind of simple to me. Test without an Overclock, if the game still crashes without an Overclock, then the game is odd. If it’s stable as, then maby the Overclock is not entirely stable in everything. Had instances in which I passed benchmarks and synthetics and it falls over in games with the CPU overclocked.

Permabanned
Seems kind of simple to me. Test without an Overclock, if the game still crashes without an Overclock, then the game is odd. If it’s stable as, then maby the Overclock is not entirely stable in everything. Had instances in which I passed benchmarks and synthetics and it falls over in games with the CPU overclocked.

This

Associate
AIDA 64 is not really a decent stress test, i passed over an hour in the same test but prime 95 small fft crashed one of my overclocks

Caporegime

go tell this to people who used to play bfbc2. haha you knew who had weak unstable overclocks playing that game instantly.

Soldato
I agree. If it crashes it isn't stable.

There isn't any argument here. It can pass 101 tests but if it crashes at any point in time today, tomorrow or in a years time it ain't stable.

And the best way to prove it, is put it all back to stock and see the problem is resolved.

Associate
From my experience as a gamer, i would say realbench and aida will give me a ballpark to start. Once i start playing a few games over time i'll find games that will show my oc unstable.
With my current processor, i need ~0.035v more vcore for gaming stable.

Soldato
OP
It turns out it was an evga graphics card program that was the problem, when benchmarking I was turning off all the background tasks and then when finished going to do my daily missions on WoWS and because the program wasn’t running it was causing the crash, the program was then switching back on after the crash and then running fine, I haven’t had any crashes since I have left or reactivated the program

Back
Top Bottom