9900KS too hot whats going on?

Associate
Hi guys,
I am running a 9900ks with an Aplhacool Eisbaer Extreme 280mm AIO and I am having a hard time keeping the temps down.

I am currently 'overclocked' to 5.2GHz at 1.28v vCORE.
Idle temps around 38~ degrees.

When I run cinebench it will break 95'c depending on room temp.
I ive tried running prime95 but the temps jump to 99 -100 then my pc will crash.

I have been looking at reviews of other AIO's paired with 9900k's, they seem to be able to get 80 degrees with 1.36v.

I have tried reseating the cooler several times, ive tried different mounting pressures. I have replaced the 2 bequiet fans with 4 noctua 3000rpm fans which gave the results above.

Is the alphacool faulty or my CPU defective?
I am really tempted to buy a NZXT AIO and see if it is better.

Slurg

Soldato
all of the 9900 series cpus from intel run very hot to begin with, plus you have a massive overclock applied, most users clock up to 5.1ghz max to help aleviate temprtaure problems, hell if you can delid that sucker and it should help.

with regards to you pc crashing under load, dont forget cinebench puts a masive load on you cpu so if you voltages arnt exact then the pc will crash regardless, have you tried gaming at all at 5.2ghz, something to note games will run with excellent frame rates but wont put anywhere near the load on the cpu as cinebench will, treat that program as worst case senario for your cpu.

test a few games and see what temps you have, just a heads up it should be around 70 - 85ish degrees at a guess which is fine as all 9900 series cpus will run happily at or around 100 degrees, they will throttle if it goes above and completly shutdown the pc if temps exceed 105 degrees.

lastly it comes down to the silicone lottery, just because one cpu will clock up to 5.2 ghz doesnt mean all will, hell if you can get a stable 5.2ghz on all cores you've got a top 5% in the world chip at that point

Soldato
A stock 9900KS is about the best you can get for gaming. Insane performance. Just run it at stock and have fun.

Even at stock, the heat and power output is bad enough. Why make it worse?

Some are happy at 5.1 GHz max, some are happy at 5.2 GHz max. It's a gamble. 5.0 GHz is was you're paying for. So if it stuggles at 5.0GHz, then it's faulty.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
all of the 9900 series cpus from intel run very hot to begin with, plus you have a massive overclock applied, most users clock up to 5.1ghz max to help aleviate temprtaure problems, hell if you can delid that sucker and it should help.
The voltages are what generates the heat not the clock.

Associate
OP
Ignore the clock speeds, why is 1.28v reaching 95 degrees on cinebench, which is not even a high heat output stress test, on a mid-high end cooling system ?

Soldato
Ignore the clock speeds, why is 1.28v reaching 95 degrees on cinebench, which is not even a high heat output stress test, on a mid-high end cooling system ?

as i mentoined earlier it all comes down to the silicone lottery, dont forget all cpu's and gpu's start out life as the top end part until validation shows the flaws, this then means parts are cut off and the good silicone is re used for lower end parts.

just because your 9900ks is a top end part dosnt mean intel validated it at 5.2ghz, that cpu is checked to work at 5ghz all core boost, and every cpu will work at that but at diffrent voltages, you'd be lucky if a sample of 100 cpu's would work exactly the same core and volts wise.

i have a ryzen 9 3900x and when i run cinebench r20 my cpu boosts to 4.4ghz on most cores but temps sky rocket to 85 degrees, when i load up any game after the cpu has cooled off the max temps i see are anywahere from 69 - 72 degrees max, as i said before cinebench is the worst case senario for a cpu it will slam the cpu will 100% load all the time until the test is done, where as games may hit the cpu at 100% but only for a few seconds at a time, plus during gaming not all cores are used to 100%, that way the cpu can drop and maintain a steady temp, unlike cinebench.

did you run any games and see what your temps are?, if you still have bad temps after gaming then yes i'd say something is wrong, then i'd say a 360mm aio would be needed if you wanted to keep a 5.2ghz stable clock. Test a game first!

EDIT just looked now and the 9900ks only ships with a 1 year warranty, where as a normal 9900k has intels full 3 year warranty, it seems intel dont have faith the ks will last any longer than that, tbh though the exta 400mhz per clock is a fair jump in performance to begin with over a normal k chip.

Keep that in mind if you need to rma it after 12 months, intel will offer no help and which ever retailer you bought from may do the same

Last edited:
Soldato
Anything below absolute top isn't enough for that CPU, which is hot like volcano and needs absolutely top level cooling.
And even that struggles, because Intel is simply cranking them up far beyond what's inside reasonable limits.

Just 5GHz means 250W power consumption/heat output in AVX load and 3D rendering isn't far behind:
Core i9-9900K gets super hot faced with Prime95 and AVX instructions (205W stock, 250W overclocked), exceeding the specified TDP.We measured 137W (232W) during the Cinebench test, and we topped 145W (241W overclocked) under the larger Blender workload. We even pushed past 120W (198W overclocked) with various CAD plug-ins for Creo and SolidWorks.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-9900k-9th-gen-cpu,5847-11.html

Tom's US lab actually had even worser 9900K sample/motherboard pushed it even farther causing 230W draw at stock:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-9700k-9th-gen-cpu,5876-2.html

And 9900KS is even hotter.
Intel's TDP is really "rolling downhill in tail wind" consumption.
So easy to see why Intel isn't comfortable with giving them longer than "until rear lights disappear from view" warranty.

Soldato
The voltages are what generates the heat not the clock.

Yes and no. For example If i run my 5820K @ stock speed 3.3Ghz at fixed 1.2v i get about 65-68C load on P95, at its overclocked speed at 4.3Ghz 1.2v i touch 83-87C load in P95. That 1.2v is a fixed vcore so its not increasing automatically etc.That extra 1Ghz on the six cores does add to the TDP.

Soldato
EDIT just looked now and the 9900ks only ships with a 1 year warranty, where as a normal 9900k has intels full 3 year warranty, it seems intel dont have faith the ks will last any longer than that, tbh though the exta 400mhz per clock is a fair jump in performance to begin with over a normal k chip.

Keep that in mind if you need to rma it after 12 months, intel will offer no help and which ever retailer you bought from may do the same

Didn't know that, wow thats confidence in your product huh? lol, of course some fan boys will defend that somehow. I'm an Intel mostly user but i've got a 3950X i'm building up to be my main rig because Intel is really stumbling at the moment. Of course i fully expect them to regain their stature but i've lived through the original cacheless Celeron 300, the 1Ghz PIII paper launch just to spite the 1Ghz Athlon, the 1.13Ghz PIII that was a factory defective overclock and their bullying of mobo makers when the Athlon was new so i have a love/hate relationship with them.

Back
Top Bottom