A bit out the loop... what's a solid mid-range mouse these days?

Soldato
My current Zowie I've had for roughly 7-8 years developed this annoying thumb button double click problem which I've put up with for years but can't be doing with any longer. Plus my MX518 which I used for work finally died so I think that's a good excuse to get something new for both work and home.

Ideally I would like:
  • Optical sensor
  • No prediction
  • 1000Hz
  • Suited for low-sense
  • Grip shape not too important
  • Same exact mouse for work and home so conservative styling/shape preferably
Zowie would be nice but still read reports of double clicking issues. Also it's quite expensive for my needs, as I rarely game these days.

Logitech G203 looks OK and seems reasonably priced. Can I go wrong with that?

Soldato
There are a few really good models that will fit the requirements. Hero sensor, 3360, 3366... From Logitech to Roccat to Mionix to Steelseries. The rest is mostly down to taste, the shapes, buttons, weight.

If you want to try out wireless, G603. I like my G403, did have M1 double click issues in the end (seems to be a common issue with most mice these days), but really good mouse. A few other models, Mionix castor, Steelseries Rival 310, G502, ...

Associate
Just got a G305 as my Deathadder 3G was having scrolling issues. Picking a Mouse has been the bane of my life. I'm not into gaudy looking Gaming mice and i don't like LEDs. Finding a mouse with a quality scroll wheel that's solid, quiet, has a nice click and doesn't rattle, with good left and right click and quality feel all around, has always felt like the impossible dream. Also the 3.5 was so good it's a tough act to follow. Also wanted to go wireless with a single AA Battery solution.

So after much research and many video reviews i thought i'd give the G305 a bash. It's reduced price on a rainforest site right now too and on paper ticks all the boxes. I was not disappointed! It's great. Sturdy, nicely textured, clickiness is all around very satisfying and quality feeling. It's a bit smaller than the 3.5G which i actually like and i don't need to install software to turn off LEDs, as there are none.

I ordered a second one to keep in reserve which comes today. I can't believe after so many years using the one model and thinking i'd never find a suitable replacement, i've finally done just that!

Man of Honour
Only double clicking issues I've had with Zowie mice is after they've taken years of abuse and I've got/had a fair few.

Associate
They've just relaunched the MX518 with a new sensor, so that might be an option. But it's not too cheap. It sounds like the g203 is the best bet - you can get 2 of them for the price of a different mouse. Maybe pick up one and see how you feel?

Back
Top Bottom