• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

A blast from the past - Nvidia GT 240

Soldato
I was going through some of my tech boxes trying to find a trackball and came across some of my old video cards, including an Nvidia 7600 GS and GT 240. My cards older than the GT 240 are all AGP (though I think I have a Cirrus Logic VLB card somewhere), so not compatible with today's PCs, but I wonder how the 240 will fare if I put it in my spare PC?

I now have the card out alongside my old GTX 780 Ti. I currently have a Maxwell Titan in my spare PC (i5-11400). Which benchmarks should I run?

Associate
I don't exactly trust userbench, but I'd expect, based on the below it would be worse than the IGPU in the Intel 11400.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GeForce-GT-240-vs-Nvidia-RTX-3090/m7947vs4081
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GeForce-GT-240-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070/m7947vs3609

I now have the card out alongside my old GTX 780 Ti

Are you saying you have the GT240 running or the 708ti? 780ti isn't great but it should boot Windows 10 and outperform most of the Nvidia cards on sale on OCUK at the moment (as sad a statement as that is lol).

Which benchmarks should I run?

If you can run heaven on it, that might be a bit of a giggle.

Man of Honour
Got a Voodoo 1 Obsidian board still in my parts box :D

Seems I chucked out more cards than I remember at some point - still got a 6800 Ultra Extreme on an AGP board, bunch of GTX470s for some reason as well as the newer cards but some of the other notable cards are gone like the 7950GX2.

Soldato
Got a Voodoo 1 Obsidian board still in my parts box :D

Seems I chucked out more cards than I remember at some point - still got a 6800 Ultra Extreme on an AGP board, bunch of GTX470s for some reason as well as the newer cards but some of the other notable cards are gone like the 7950GX2.

I still have my 7900GX2 it came with a free set of ear defenders.

Man of Honour

I bought the spacer kit for my GX2 and after-market heatsinks - substantially improved the cooling performance. IIRC the 7950GX2 was a lot quieter than the 7900 card as well out the box.

Soldato
I bought the spacer kit for my GX2 and after-market heatsinks - substantially improved the cooling performance. IIRC the 7950GX2 was a lot quieter than the 7900 card as well out the box.

Yeah, the crappy single slot coolers sandwiched together, was never going to be one of the quietest cards.

i had to de-rivet and rivet the drive bay rack to move it a couple of inches further forward just to fit the card in the case. What a faff!

Last edited:
Associate
I've hung onto the first PC i built, It's got an Athlon 2500+ Barton and an ati 9800pro with a massive artic freezing? Heatsink and fan on it! One day i'll get around to popping a new cmos battery in it and see if it still fires up.

Associate

Wasn't that the dual PCB (SLI in a single card)? I had one of them back in the day, found unboxing pictures in an old backup folder of that and various old builds. Shame we don't see more crazy stuff like that these days. I reckon with 2.5 and 3 slot cards you get today you could get something like that up to 6 slot easy.

Soldato
Wasn't that the dual PCB (SLI in a single card)? I had one of them back in the day, found unboxing pictures in an old backup folder of that and various old builds. Shame we don't see more crazy stuff like that these days. I reckon with 2.5 and 3 slot cards you get today you could get something like that up to 6 slot easy.

That's the one. Some joker on youtube had two cards = four boards running in SLI. he had a towel wrapped round his neck due to his bleeding ears.

Back
Top Bottom