A Costly Mistake?

Associate
I have just taken bought the system llisted below from OcUK, Thinking that it was a dual core system ,being fooled along with several others here that the description of the cpu (Dual DDR400 CPU)
have any others made the same mistake to find the have only a AMD4000+

"Ultima SLi" AMD Athlon 64 4000 Dual DDR System (FS-005-OK)
If you are looking for the ultimate AMD box then look no further than the Ultima SLi AMD Athlon 64 4000. Supplied pre-built it has an impressive specification to say the least :-

- AMD Athlon 64 4000 San Diego (Socket 939) Dual DDR400 CPU
- AMD Approved Cooler
- Asus A8N-SLi Premium nForce4 SLi Dual Channel PCI-Express Motherboard
- GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) DDR PC3200 CAS2.5 Dual Channel Kit
- 250GB Western Digital Caviar SE16 16mb cache SATA-2 Hard Drive
- 2 x NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT 256MB DDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Cards (SLi Configured)
- Plextor PX-755 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter
- Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4.0 Sound Card
- Black floppy drive
- Coolermaster Wavemaster Black Case
- Tagan TG580-U15 580W ATX2.01 Easycon SLi Compliant Modular Silent PSU

Associate
thats a bummer dude, thats why i always try to double check everything before i buy. as far as a costly mistake goes, if it had have been a dual core system, it would have cost you more, so you havent really lost money, just have the wrong cpu. you could either leave it as is for now, or if you really want dual core system, you could sell the cpu you have on a well known auction site, or to someone you know who needs one, and put the money you get towards buying just a new processor, limiting your loss to whatever the difference is between what it cost you and how much you get for it. it could have been worse, i once bought a mobo, cpu and ram, and the socket was wrong for the cpu and the ram was the wrong type. sods law really., although i do agree that the advert could be misleading, adding the word "dual" into a CPU description when there are actual "dual" cpus out there. maybe OCUK should look into revising the ad to point this out, or change the description of the CPU (although they probably got the description from the manufacturer anyway)

Associate
OP
i had a very similar quote for dual core systems from others
,only reason i went for this one was i did not like the cases from the others

No problem thought, I will give the cpu and mobo to my son and get new ones

Last edited:
Soldato
Welcome to the forums.

First, you'll need to remove the names of the competitors as that's breaking forums rules.

Secondly, this thread may end up deleted anyway as shop talk isn't allowed in the forums.

You say you have "just taken bought". Do you mean you have just placed the order online? Or just taken delivery at 3am?

If the order hasn't been despatched yet then contact OCUK once they open and let them know you've made a mistake and they may upgrade you PC for a little more money or offer a full refund.

And I agree that Dual thing can be a bit confusing. A feature of Socket 939 A64 CPUs is Dual DDR support, so why still highlight that feature 2 yrs later. Mention it to OCUK and I'm sure they will change the description.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mad scot said:
i had a very similar quote for dual core systems from *******************, only reason i went for this one was i did not like the cases from the others

No problem thought, I will give the cpu and mobo to my son and get new ones

Just FYI that motherboard does support dual core AMD CPUs, and like everyone else has said give the shop a ring - I'm sure they'll be able to sort it out.

Hav

Soldato
If in doubt, check the specifications!!

Your own fault, not ocuks. They sold you exactly as they specified. You just have to have the wit to know exactly what it is you want ^^

Thats why OCUK is the for people who knows (roughly) what they are doing!

Associate
OP
Mujja said:
If the order hasn't been despatched yet then contact OCUK once they open and let them know you've made a mistake and they may upgrade you PC for a little more money or offer a full refund.

I made the order on 27 March, phoned them on Monday 3 April as they had not sent my order out at that time, to see about changing order

I was told by person on phone that system i had ordered was a superior system than the dual cores that were out at the time

System delivered on Tuesday 4 April

As i mentioned before, no real problems as my son can have the cpu and mobo(apparantly its the wrong one I ordered as well)

Re: time of post .......took me that long to get final permission to make posts in this forumn

Associate
That system prolly would be better than a dual core for gaming. But i guess you decided on dual core for the multi tasking purpose

Soldato
Shoseki said:
Your own fault, not ocuks. They sold you exactly as they specified. You just have to have the wit to know exactly what it is you want ^^

Thats why OCUK is the for people who knows (roughly) what they are doing!

A pre-built PC would mostly be for people who don't know what they are doing, or those who don't have the time to build it themselves.

If it's being sold to those who don't know what they are doing then OCUK need to make the descriptions a little more clearer.

Like I said S939 A64s have always had Dual DDR support and I don't think it's worth highlighting in the title 2 years on as a main/new feature of A64s.

Buyers like mad scot looking to buy a Dual Core CPU will get confused when seeing the word Dual in the CPU title.

Back
Top Bottom