• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

A couple of issues with my new Vega 56.....

Soldato
I did post in the Vega 56 thread but thought I might get more traction with a separate thread!

Basically I've received my new Sapphire Vega 56 today and done a full reinstall of Windows 10 to make sure I didn't have any lingering Nvidia driver issues etc!

Problem # 1

First impression is that the install went very well - paired with my new Hannspree HG324 - until I changed the refresh rate to 144hz after which I am getting an intermittent flicker while on the desktop! (I had no such issues while running the same monitor and cable on my GTX970!)

Problem # 2

I've run the Unigine Heaven benchmark (left all settings as default!) with the following results:

GTX970

FPS: 59.7
Score: 1503
Min FPS: 30.5
Max FPS: 136.0

Vega 56

FPS: 108.8
Score: 2741
Min FPS: 9.2
Max FPS: 217.3

Now obviously the FPS and score changes represent a significant improvement, I can't quite understand why the "Min FPS" has dropped from 30.5 down to 9.2!?!?!

Does anyone have any ideas on either of these issues?

Soldato
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ what he said, you really need to undervolt that card (and all vega cards I reckon) Have good read of the vega 56 owners thread, theres an excellent guide posted in there where you use Tomb raider demo thats using the Unreal engine so it loads up the gpu nicely (no false illusions of stability), and you can alt-tab out of the demo with the game still running and check reading with gpu-z and wattman. Go through the procedure and at the end you should have a stable card with good temps/power draw.

Edit:Heres a link to the guide https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/71978a/psa_lazy_mans_guide_to_tweaking_your_gpu_rx_vega/

Hope the original poster doesn't mind me posting a link, I'll delete it if theres a problem.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies - I'll have a read and see what I can do regards the undervolting!

Any ideas on the flickering? I tried one of the other display ports and for a few minutes thought this had fixed the issue but on closer inspection it would appear not!

Also, I re-ran the Heaven benchmark and got the following results:

FPS: 109.1
Score: 2749
Min FPS: 32.8
Max FPS: 217.0

Assume this is around where my scores should be or should the min FPS be substantially better than my 970 was?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Thanks for the replies - I'll have a read and see what I can do regards the undervolting!

Any ideas on the flickering? I tried one of the other display ports and for a few minutes thought this had fixed the issue but on closer inspection it would appear not!

Also, I re-ran the Heaven benchmark and got the following results:

FPS: 109.1
Score: 2749
Min FPS: 32.8
Max FPS: 217.0

Assume this is around where my scores should be or should the min FPS be substantially better than my 970 was?

In the driver are radeon chill and hbcc both off? Not sure on your score but I can run a run on my 56 if you like? Mind you its running a 64 bios at the moment and is undervolted etc but I could put it back to stock.

Soldato
OP
In the driver are radeon chill and hbcc both off? Not sure on your score but I can run a run on my 56 if you like? Mind you its running a 64 bios at the moment and is undervolted etc but I could put it back to stock.

Chill is off and HBCC Memory Segment is disabled according to the Radeon control panel!

To be honest I'm more concerned with the screen flicker than the performance - I've tried all 3 display ports on the card and they all flicker! :confused:

Man of Honour
Chill is off and HBCC Memory Segment is disabled according to the Radeon control panel!

To be honest I'm more concerned with the screen flicker than the performance - I've tried all 3 display ports on the card and they all flicker! :confused:

out of interest what are the cards desktop clocks at 144hz? have you tried raising the bottom states 100mhz? I used to have to do this to stop flickering at desktop clocks across 3 screens, perhaps a similar issue of too low base clock at high refresh? I'm only running 4k 75hz on my machine so can't try and recreate the issue.

Soldato
OP
out of interest what are the cards desktop clocks at 144hz? have you tried raising the bottom states 100mhz? I used to have to do this to stop flickering at desktop clocks across 3 screens, perhaps a similar issue of too low base clock at high refresh? I'm only running 4k 75hz on my machine so can't try and recreate the issue.

Sorry but you are dealing with a complete spanner when it comes to these things - how do I check and change the "desktop clocks"?

Man of Honour
Sorry but you are dealing with a complete spanner when it comes to these things - how do I check and change the "desktop clocks"?

Best way imo is to do it in the adrenaline driver, if you go into global wattman you will have 4 options, power saver, balanced and turbo which change the voltage profile of the card. There is also a custom option, set it to that and set the clocks to manual, add 25mhz to like the first couple of states and see what happens. The little led's on the card that flicker show the p state the card is in. 1 led = p state 1, 2 leds = p state 2 and so on. you can also see what the clocks of the card are in gpuz and raise them in wattman.

Soldato
OP
Best way imo is to do it in the adrenaline driver, if you go into global wattman you will have 4 options, power saver, balanced and turbo which change the voltage profile of the card. There is also a custom option, set it to that and set the clocks to manual, add 25mhz to like the first couple of states and see what happens. The little led's on the card that flicker show the p state the card is in. 1 led = p state 1, 2 leds = p state 2 and so on. you can also see what the clocks of the card are in gpuz and raise them in wattman.

This is probably a stupid question but is this trying to resolve the flickering issue or the performance issue? (or could it affect both?) - what exactly am I doing by adding 25mhz to each state? (also, do you mean 0 and 1 or 1 and 2?)

What's the rest of the system spec? Similar minimums could be a result of cpu limitation. The rest of the performance looks like it's a good upgrade.

The rest of my specs are in my sig - i5 2500K @ 4.3GHz, & 16GB DDR3 in case you can't see them! (I'm wondering whether my PSU could be a problem with it only being a 600W - could this be the cause of the flickering?)

I've just booted into The Division and seem to be hovering between 75 and 90 FPS - I just wish I could remember what the FPS was while using my GTX970!

Associate
Had the same problem in the past. 144hz worked fine on Nvidia card but was getting flickering with amd card.
Didn't bother to find a solution as it was a temporary setup so just dropped desktop refresh rate to 120hz and flickering stopped.
In my opinion amd cards are more fussy about cables than Nvidia cards so you should try a higher quality one.

Back
Top Bottom