A couple of scuba pics from Turkey..

Mat

Mat

Soldato
Nice. I've already done Malta this year and am looking at Gran Canaria again in Dec... can't wait! :D

Caporegime
Nice pics :).

I'm doing my OpenWater PADI qualification in March in Thailand. Can't wait.

nice pics, I'd like to scuba sometimes must be awesome!
Do it in Thailand. Cheapest place to get your OW PADI apparently. We've just booked tickets, and its cost me £750 for flights and the course (my other half has already done it). Accommodation is dirt cheap, about £10/night.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice pics :).

I'm doing my OpenWater PADI qualification in March in Thailand. Can't wait.

Do it in Thailand. Cheapest place to get your OW PADI apparently. We've just booked tickets, and its cost me £750 for flights and the course (my other half has already done it). Accommodation is dirt cheap, about £10/night.

I hope that's on Koh Tao as that's the best place to dive :D

Caporegime
I hope that's on Koh Tao as that's the best place to dive :D
Koh Tao or Phuket, and one other place which is where my girlfriend did her PADI, Maya beach is it? It's the place they filmed "The Beach", are the one's we are considering. We're going for three-four weeks and I'd quite like to do the advanced qualification after it but we'll see.

Soldato
Reasonable and good.

One of the reasons i picked the f31 was shutter reaction speed. That and the larger sensor and manual white balance.

Some more pics from UK waters here.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18009714&highlight=kilda

Thanks! More great pics :)

I'm looking to replace my old Canon A80 & housing with some reasonably priced kit as the autofocus and shutter lag are terrible. I've seen lots of placed selling the Fuji kits.

Can i also ask you, as well as adjusting white balance before taking the pics, did you use any colour correction filters in photoshops to adjust the reds in the pics afterwards or are they as they were taken?

Soldato
We're going for three-four weeks and I'd quite like to do the advanced qualification after it but we'll see.

The advanced is very similar to the OW, takes a week ish and requires (or at least it is among the choices) a night dive which for me was one of the most amazing experiences of my life.

It is also worth having simply because you gain a lot more freedom in terms of dive spots.

Soldato
The advanced is very similar to the OW, takes a week ish and requires (or at least it is among the choices) a night dive which for me was one of the most amazing experiences of my life.

It is also worth having simply because you gain a lot more freedom in terms of dive spots.

You can do the advanced in 2 days, and that's what usually happens in the more commercial places like Bans in Koh Tao. I seriously would learn in Phuket rather than Koh Tao as it is a bit of a ****hole for diving IMO but the pancakes are awesome!

Caporegime
The OW is £270 at Phuket, and the Advanced is £280. Seems very reasonable to me, and as we'll have time I'll try and convince the gf to do hers :).

Soldato
yes I had the option to do advanced straight after my OW (2 days course after the 4 days for OW) but a) I ran out of time and b) I still wasn't super confident under the water. Still aren't even after several more dives.

edit: forgot to mention I went with Buddha View Diving in Koh Tao and I found them very professional, smallish classes and the dive sites I went to were very good.

Soldato
2 days? really? how many dives is that? IIRC mine took about 6.

You can do it in 5 dives iirc, so 2 dives a day + 1 night dive on one of the days. On livaboards you can dive up to 4 times a day; very tiring though!!

I'd definitely recommend a try at nitrox diving; i'm always much fresher after diving with it than standard air, though some people say it makes no difference to them.

Also i wouldn't get hooked on getting qualifications; much better to gain experience and get more comfortable underwater than being a badge collector.

Last edited:
Soldato
The OW is £270 at Phuket, and the Advanced is £280. Seems very reasonable to me, and as we'll have time I'll try and convince the gf to do hers :).

Are you just visiting Thailand or venturing further out? A really relaxed place to stay and dive is the Perhentian Islands just off the east coast of Malaysia.

Last edited:

Mat

Mat

Soldato
Also i wouldn't get hooked on getting qualifications; much better to gain experience and get more comfortable underwater than being a badge collector.

This. And don't get drawn in with the depth junkies either, you'll see far more in the top 10m than anywhere else (unless its a boat dive nowhere near the shore :D), and it's warmer up there ;).

Soldato
Are you just visiting Thailand or venturing further out? A really relaxed place to stay and dive is the Perhentian Islands just of the east coast of Malaysia.

I wanted to do them, but my ears were broke from the dives in Thailand. Missed out Malaysia completely. Hoping to go back through Asia when I leave NZ.

Back
Top Bottom