A dilution ratio question (What is 1:10) Poll please?

Soldato
Well hi. I was mixing up some cleaning solution today and the instructions stated:

Dilute 1:10 in water

And it got me thinking. Do they mean mix 1 part of solution with 10 parts water (so 11 parts in total, so approx 9% strength) or do they mean mix 1 part solution to 9 parts water (so 10 parts in total, at 10% strength)

Seems it can be either! Yes I'm bored lol. Any chance of a poll? A:11 parts total @9% B:10 parts total @10% C:Get a life/Pancake

Ta

Well hi. I was mixing up some cleaning solution today and the instructions stated:

Dilute 1:10 in water

And it got me thinking. Do they mean mix 1 part of solution with 10 parts water (so 11 parts in total, so approx 9% strength) or do they mean mix 1 part solution to 9 parts water (so 10 parts in total, at 10% strength)

They mean take 1 volume of the solution and increase it by diluting it with water until its new volume is equivalent to 10 volumes. Yes, it's the same as doing a 10 times dilution on it, so that it's now at 10% of the original concentration.

This is very simple to do; for example, you just put 100 ml of the concentrated solution into a measuring flask/jug and add water until you have 1 litre of diluted solution.

This is correct: "1 part of solution with 10 parts water (so 11 parts in total, so approx 9% strength)"

No, it is incorrect. The approach I outlined above is standard practice in science labs internationally and so it's industry best practice too.

But you don't have to take my word for it: here is an explanation of dilution conventions.

(Edited to add a reference.)

Last edited:
They mean take 1 volume of the solution and increase it by diluting it with water until its new volume is equivalent to 10 volumes. Yes, it's the same as doing a 10 times dilution on it, so that it's now at 10% of the original concentration.

This is very simple to do; for example, you just put 100 ml of the concentrated solution into a measuring flask/jug and add water until you have 1 litre of diluted solution.

No, it is incorrect. The approach I outlined above is standard practice in science labs internationally and so it's industry best practice too.
Agree with this.

Which dilution did you use? And did the thing you were cleaning end up not clean enough, just the right amount of clean or too clean?

This should give you your answer :p

Back
Top Bottom