A dilution ratio question (What is 1:10) Poll please?

Two different types getting confused here.

Dilution Ratio

1:10 = add 1 unit to 10 units to give 11 units total

Dilution Factor

1:10 = add 1 unit to 9 units to give 10 units total

I think some people are comparing "mix" with "dilute"? Mix 1:10 generally means 1 part of A plus 10 parts of B. "Dilute" generally means (and always to a scientist) make 1 part of A up to ten times the original volume with B (1+9 effectively). That said, a lot of instruction manuals are written by people with no scientific background, and who think the two terms have the same meaninhg
Quite late to the discussion here it would seem this is the correct answer. They key is the terminology of mix vs dilute

This thread reminds me of this ridiculous term

Completely clear! :D

a4G9oKt.jpeg

Last edited:
Quite late to the discussion here it would seem this is the correct answer. They key is the terminology of mix vs dilute

No, as DP pointed out the keywords are ratio or fraction.

Also the notation for ratio ":" is being abused a bit which has added to the confusion.

Dilution ratio 1:10 means 1 part to 10 (like any other ratio)

Dilution fraction 1/10 means 1 part out of 10 (like any other fraction)

This thread reminds me of this ridiculous term

Completely clear! :D

a4G9oKt.jpeg
Yep. This is ridiculous. Only encountered it once coming to the UK. I would imagine everywhere else in the world, it is twice a month. Same confusion ensued with bi-weekly but in that case, I understand it as every two weeks. At least bi-annual and biennial are different spelling to differentiate.

No, as DP pointed out the keywords are ratio or fraction.

Also the notation for ratio ":" is being abused a bit which has added to the confusion.

Dilution ratio 1:10 means 1 part to 10 (like any other ratio)

Dilution fraction 1/10 means 1 part out of 10 (like any other fraction)
I will defer as that also makes sense

Back
Top Bottom