A Fatso, a Fumbler, and a Collection of Young 'Uns - The England Keeper Situation

Associate
Touch biased as a Villa fan, but Carson looks a superb keeper thus far this season - would personally select between him and David James, who is still a quality player.

Would drop Robinson - needs to earn his place back in the side as his domestic form is ropey. The team should be selected on merit.

People may argue not he has only conceded a couple of goals in qualifying, but looking at our group, it's not a major achievement, and in recent weeks he seems to making at least a gaff a game.

Soldato
OP
I take it this post has been brought up because of England's frailty at the back and our appalling defensive record, oh wait 2 goals conceded in the qualifiers, lowest of any team. One of those goals no keeper would have saved. If it ain't broke don't fix it!
So because we've got two of the best centre-backs in the world, the best left-back, and a fantastic young right-back holding the line, you think we should stick with an increasingly erratic keeper? Good logic.

Don
McClaren has confirmed that Robinson will start the qualifers, he says Robinson has never let us down, must have forgot the Germany game already :rolleyes:

He also hinted that he may leave out some of the players on yellows for the Estonia game.

Associate
It would have to be green for me, i think out of all the keepers mentioned, he's the one in the best form. The trouble is, that counts for nothing with the england squad.

Caporegime
So because we've got two of the best centre-backs in the world, the best left-back, and a fantastic young right-back holding the line, you think we should stick with an increasingly erratic keeper? Good logic.

Not far off, apart from the fact Cole isn't even the best English left back, let alone the best in the world.

Don
Not far off, apart from the fact Cole isn't even the best English left back, let alone the best in the world.

He's easily Englands best left back and proberly still the best in the world, im struggling to think of anybody that comes close to him.

Soldato
Carson might have done well for Charlton and now Villa, but if he's not good enough to play for Liverpool he's not good enough to play for England IMO.

I disagree. He's a decent enough keeper, but the reason he isn't first choice at Liverpool is because Reina is a world-class, reputable keeper, whereas Carson is still developing as a player, hence why he's been out on loan. One he's got another season or two's experience under his belt, i'm sure Liverpool would give him a crack at the whip. :)

Soldato
He's easily Englands best left back and proberly still the best in the world, im struggling to think of anybody that comes close to him.

Abidal and Lahm are better than Cole (currently anyway), as Cliffy said Clichy is playing better than him atm as well.

If Cole can get back to his best he is the best in the world though.

Permabanned
Steve Harper, baby.

This post has been criminally ignored. Harper would walk into a lot of teams, and it's been a shame he's had Shay ahead of him in the pecking order for most of his career. If he hadn't been warming our bench for so long, I think he would have been capped by now.

Paul

Don
Abidal and Lahm are better than Cole (currently anyway), as Cliffy said Clichy is playing better than him atm as well.

If Cole can get back to his best he is the best in the world though.

I wouldn't take any of those over Cole (especially Clichy) on current form or when he's back to his best.

He get talked about as a great attacking full-back (which he is) but doesn't get enough credit for his defensive work; i know the mancs will say he just fouls him (i don't agree) but i can't recall another full-back keeping Ronaldo so quiet so often.

Soldato
I wouldn't take any of those over Cole (especially Clichy) on current form or when he's back to his best.

He get talked about as a great attacking full-back (which he is) but doesn't get enough credit for his defensive work; i know the mancs will say he just fouls him (i don't agree) but i can't recall another full-back keeping Ronaldo so quiet so often.

Cole's performances against Ronaldo just show how good he can be when he's near his best, but unfortunately for England and Chelsea he hasn't played at the top of his game consistantly for a few years. He certainly rises to the big occasion though which few other England players also do.

Soldato
12 clean sheets in 14 international games and you all wanna drop the keeper?

admittedly for spurs hes let more balls in than elton john ;) but at international level he has a very very good record.

Associate
As a Spurs fan, I can say that Robinson has the *ability* to be very very good, if not borderline brilliant. Unfortunately, that was around 2 years ago now. He has been poor for almost 2 seasons and the number of long shots that go past him, and the number of errors he is making are becoming ridiculous.

Associate
Steve Harper would be England number one if he played for any other club on a regular basis. He has out-performed Shay Given so far this season and his reward was being dropped. Admittedly, Given has that bit of extra world-class about him and will improve as the season goes on, but Harper is mental for being so loyal to Newcastle.

Back
Top Bottom