A few more holiday snaps

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
684605646_f03e10c55c_b.jpg

683847839_cf89fc64de_b.jpg

684296935_84167151d4_o.jpg

Comments and suggestions very welcome.

Very good: both vibrant and turbulant but suffers from a long standing problem of being a very good photo but lacking in sky. This is a problem I seem to encounter more often than not and to be honest I just do not know what to do about it-except fake the sky of course. Anybody have any ideas?
thanks for the view :)

I'd say it's Niagara Falls, Canadian side...
Nice, love waterfalls, but love them more on video as you get the feeling of movement better!

Still, nice shots....

PS Did you know that Pistyll Rhaeadr in Wales is taller...but of course much less volume!

Yep, that was Niagara, the US side. I posted some other photos recently, but guess they didn't impress anyone.

9> thanks for the update, always interesting to see what someone else would do.
Edit: Whilst I really like the way that the white water is better highlighted, there's terrible banding in the sky on your version. Guess that's what happens when we start fiddling with JPGs as against RAW.

Last edited:
ethan said:
... suffers from a long standing problem of being a very good photo but lacking in sky. This is a problem I seem to encounter more often than not and to be honest I just do not know what to do about it-except fake the sky of course. Anybody have any ideas?
thanks for the view :)

Have to admit that I wondered about that myself. Most of the time I was on holiday was overcast and fairly miserable looking weather. I did use a layer with a gradient on the second shot. The only other that comes to mind is to simply replace the whole sky, but then that kind of misses the point.
What it did make me think was about the background to why put out the shot you do. Having thought about it, my view is that it's to put across how I felt the day looked whilst there, and it really wasn't that great.

Mr_Sukebe said:
Yep, that was Niagara, the US side. I posted some other photos recently, but guess they didn't impress anyone.

Edit: Whilst I really like the way that the white water is better highlighted, there's terrible banding in the sky on your version. Guess that's what happens when we start fiddling with JPGs as against RAW.

Sorry should have been more precise...looking towards the Canadian side...
Still like the shots, travelled to the Elan valley last week, and tried to get pictures of the water going over the dams in the water storage system there...and failed! mYa even post some shots, but like you the day was miserable and they kinda seem a bit flat..

:(

Mr_Sukebe said:

Yeah, it wasn't like that until it hit the web page !!...The local copy is fine.

I dropped a gradient layer on the sky, Shadow highlight tool, unsharp mask, and touch of brightness/contrast to finish.

Hmmmm don't think my efforts are HALF as good, but still learning.
No processing done, this is how they was my friends :-)

(1)

Elan_Dam_3_by_3dcandy.jpg

(2)

Elan_Waterfall_1_by_3dcandy.jpg

Gimme your best c & c

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom