A growing trend in trolling teachers

Soldato
Agreed, but at the same time, so what? Kids are ass holes. I'm not condoning it as I think kids are total ***** bags but our teachers had so much worse I'm sure and they just ignored it. Move on. ignore it. No one cares etc. only way to avoid it is not rise to it, not cry about it.
Your teachers probably were teaching before phones existed.

Associate
Heard about this the other day from my daughter, apparently one of the cocky kids out of her year has been suspended pending a possible exclusion for doing this (not the first thing the person in concern has done, has a pattern of bad behaviour), luckily my daughter does not hang around with the cretin and has respect for her teachers.

Wasn't aware it was a widespread thing until I stumbled upon this thread.

Headteacher at my daughter's school is really fair and a thoroughly decent chap, but extremely intolerant of bad and disruptive behaviour, runs a very tight ship, so if it continues the offending kids are not gonna last long.

Caporegime
Being a dick to teachers has happened since the dawn of time.

The old fashioned approach was to beat the offending pupil to make yourself feel better and maybe give them a bit of trauma to grow up with.
I remember a teacher throwing chairs around and yelling when I was only around 6-8 years old
The kid he was raging at ran out of school :eek:
then a little bit later his mum came in and attacked the teacher :cry:

the teacher didn't even get sacked lol

when was caning banned? wikipedia suggests 1987 lol... guess I go lucky to still be at primary school

there must be people on this forum who got caned at school? :p

Caporegime
Can only really take students phones off of them for the duration of teaching hours, but that won't stop anything off-campus which teachers are just going to have to live with.

The only actual solution would be to ban social media because it's awful.

Soldato

there must be people on this forum who got caned at school? :p

Twice for me, across palms of hands. First time hurt like hell and left some lovely bruises on my palms. I complained to my parents and they said serves you right.

It was for straying outside of school boundary into the private land next to the school...

Caporegime
Can only really take students phones off of them for the duration of teaching hours, but that won't stop anything off-campus which teachers are just going to have to live with.

The only actual solution would be to ban social media because it's awful.

It is no different to bringing your company that you work for into disrepute through social media. You can and will get sacked for it. Schools should implement a similar policy.

Soldato
When I was at school kids would behave I'd they respected the teacher enough but if a teacher 'lost the classroom' kids would just ignore them, talk over them and just be a general pain the backside (if that teacher had to call I'm another teacher to get everyone to shut up that was the end of them). So isn't this just a question of respect and a natural extension of how it's always been?

Associate
When I was at school kids would behave I'd they respected the teacher enough but if a teacher 'lost the classroom' kids would just ignore them, talk over them and just be a general pain the backside (if that teacher had to call I'm another teacher to get everyone to shut up that was the end of them). So isn't this just a question of respect and a natural extension of how it's always been?
totally agree with what you said
the same thing is rn happening in my daughter's class (she's 14)

Soldato
Kids have it too easy these days when it comes to trolling teachers.

Back when I was in comprehensive myself and a friend cracked the network security and ran a "script" that changed all the screensavers to a scrolling marquee calling one particular teacher a self-fornicator. (but with the actual sweary). I got caught because my friend used his own login in to gain access to the computer and grassed on me to avoid being expelled.

Man of Honour
Being a dick to teachers has happened since the dawn of time.

The old fashioned approach was to beat the offending pupil to make yourself feel better and maybe give them a bit of trauma to grow up with.
In the old days though being a dick could generally only be done in person. You could crack jokes at the teacher's expense, make some comments, play practical jokes or whatever but you'd have to be physically present to do it. You couldn't anonymously (or otherwise) create content and then share it round the whole class/school/town/internet from the comfort of your own bedroom.

A key factor here is the teachers cannot escape their tormentors, it's not like standard online trolling where someone in a gaming community, forum, social media or whatever decides to have a pop at you, and you can just choose to ignore them giving them no real sense to whether you are impacted by it or not. You have to go to school 5 days a week with these people.

Soldato
Schools need to ban smartphones. Put them in the locker on arrival and take them out before going home. Only in exceptional circumstances should someone be allowed to use a smartphone during school hours.

It all started going down hill when schools allowed calculators in class *waves old man cane :D

It started when they stopped teachers actually being able to discipline kids. Obligatory "I remember when teachers had canes and you got it if you misbehaved!" Of course kids did misbehave but my god you were scared of them. They have absolutely no fear of them now.

Soldato
It started when they stopped teachers actually being able to discipline kids. Obligatory "I remember when teachers had canes and you got it if you misbehaved!" Of course kids did misbehave but my god you were scared of them. They have absolutely no fear of them now.

That's just a general thing now though, not limited to schools.

Ironically the biggest groups that moan about the lack of respect and behaviour of people <30 years old are the ones that paraded around 30 years ago spouting "you can't smack your kids when they're naughty. You have to use words"

Back
Top Bottom