A little apprehensive about buying a new computer that I have to build myself

Associate
Hi,

I've posted a few times on here requesting information about possible specs for a new machine. The advice has been great, but so far I haven't pulled the trigger on anything.

I think I am just a little concerned about being sure that everything is compatible and that I am going to know where to start with regard to assembling it, and getting it started - I have NO experience. The only person I know who could help me lives 3 hours away! I would be on my own with it. Obviously I use a computer all the time, but I am just that - a USER. I don't really have much knowledge when it comes to fixing them when they go wrong. Just switch it on, use it, switch it off etc....

I don't mean to sound like a wet blanket, but can you see my concerns? Having said that I am interested to learn - I think I would get a better machine compared to buying a ready made one, and it would be very satisfying.

Can anyone give me any advice?

Thanks.

It really isn't all that bad.

I haven't built a PC from scratch yet, but I have replaced pretty much every type of component over the years.

Most every component there is has just one place it can fit so you cant go too far wrong. :)

SiriusB

I was the same, I was nervous about building my first pc over 2 years ago. When I got the parts I installed it within a hour and a half as it was very easy.

As long as you read the instructions carefully there shouldn't be any problems.
This guide is good, it give lots of pics to show how it's built.
http://sysbuild.corsairmemory.com/report.aspx?id=2

If there is any problems you can just ask on here.

Building it isn't usually the hardest part, thats usually setting up the OS/ getting everything to recognise each other, thats what takes the time usually

First off read some PC building guides, probably loads if you search on Google. Then you just need to know what you're going to do with it so get a short list of components which'll do the job (ie if just doing word processing a Sempron will do with 256MB of memory and a basic £25 videcoard) if playing games 1GB or more with a £100 > videocard.

Then when you've got a rough spec, find exact components. Really only mess up you can do is memory, motherboard, CPU, videocard and hard disc.

As long as you buy the right components, know what goes where and don't damage anything fitting it be ok.

Then you've got the software side, XP is dead easy to install but there are loads of tweaks and little things you need to do to make it run without hogging and increasing security/patches/updates/drivers etc.

Not sure if a total noobie should build a machine, especially if you're looking at a expensive setup, as I learnt myself with older gear, starting back from DOS 3, 4.7mhz XT's, multiple DOS configs in DOS 5, base/extended/expanded, DOS commands, specific config.sys and autoexec.bat commands, memory etc. If you think computers are hard to setup now... :eek:

Yeah it can be scary when you havent done it before but it really is very easy (so easy infact i taught my 9 year old neice how to build one :) ).

Just take your time, make sure you are grounded before you touch any of the chips, ram, etc. Most of the time you cant really go wrong and if you get unstuck im sure a post here will net you some help quickly. Im sure if you do a google search there are a fair few beginners guides to building a PC.

Definatly worth doing, always more satisfiying to use something you have built yourself then something you bought pre-built and much better value for money.

squiffy said:
Not sure if a total noobie should build a machine, especially if you're looking at a expensive setup, as I learnt myself with older gear, starting back from DOS 3, 4.7mhz XT's, multiple DOS configs in DOS 5, base/extended/expanded, DOS commands, specific config.sys and autoexec.bat commands, memory etc. If you think computers are hard to setup now... :eek:

It's going to be a relatively expensive setup at around the £1,000 mark. I suppose if I take my time I should be OK?

I recently did an overhaul which involved removing all the components in my case and installing a new motherboard, RAM, PSU, sound card,CPU, Graphics Card and Hard Drives. Only the case, floppy drive and DVD drives were "recycled"

I'd never done anything on this scale before and I just found a load of guides on the net prior to doing the build.

Basically mate, if I can do it, you can do it. I was apprehensive and yes, there were minor challenges (mainly attaching the socket 939 heatsink!!) but these were overcome with patience, perseverence and by thoroughly reading the instructions provided with the gear.

Go get 'em! :)

You'll be fine. And as mentioned, if you do have any problems at all, just ask the question on here, and someone will normally answer your question within 15 minutes. Just out of interest, whereabouts do you live? You never know, there might be loads of OCUK members around where you live.

I was in your position about a year ago and build my first system, as seen in sig.

What is very useful is having access to the internet while you’re building. It’s like having the instruction manual next to you and ofc the OcUK forums :D

Most parts just fit together and from then on it’s a matter of software. Take the plunge and I think you will like it. The knowledge will also help you work on any problems should they arise as your PC ages.

I just built a completely new system from scratch, except for the DVD drive.

Basically start with the motherboard, slot in the processor and fix the fan. Then put it in the box, add the graphics card and ram and then connect the power supply, you can now get into BIOS! Add the other bits slowly and then try to get windows to work!!

If you take it easy, give yourself a lot of space and read everything that comes with the components you should be fine, everything is pretty clear about where it should go.

messiah khan said:
You'll be fine. And as mentioned, if you do have any problems at all, just ask the question on here, and someone will normally answer your question within 15 minutes. Just out of interest, whereabouts do you live? You never know, there might be loads of OCUK members around where you live.

I live in Guildford, Surrey. Well, a village close by, but most people know Guildford so it's easier to say that!

I built my first comp only 3 months ago, spent £800 on it and was pretty nervous about doing it (think I came on here and asked for help about 20 times lol). All went fine tho (other than the fact the chipset fan is dodgy on it, and asus won't pull their finger out and send me a new one!), and I'm now about to build a second, budget rig to practice overclocking on.

Well, it was supposed to be budget but £225 later I had better be careful I spose (not a bad price for an opty 144, 1gb OCZ ram, HIS ICEII x800xl, asrock mobo and psu, plus fans (other bits being taken from my old setup) :D)

Don't be scared, just go for it! It is really hard to do it 'wrong'. The CPU only fits one way around, the memory only fits in one direction, most of the power leads are the same, most internal connectors have shaped guides on them - it's basically a big case of 'square hole? square lead!'.

Here is some advice when choosing components though, this is the kind of advice they tend to leave out of the 'Build your own PC' guides you find on the net!

1) Spend that little extra on a nice case. I can personally vouch for the gorgeous Antec Sonata II, or the Themaltek range, or the Coolermaster Wavemaster. You will appreciate the sleekness of it, and the space to move around inside :) Cases from well known brands like those I mentioned will nearly always come with all the screws you require (and then some!)

2) To 'ease up' on installation you can get cases with fans and PSUs ready built into them. This way you know the fan is pointing in the right direction (!!), and the PSU is securely screwed in.

3) Check carefully what the motherboard you want to buy supports, and check that off against your case. For example if your case has a firewire port on the front, but your motherboard doesn't have a firewire connector - you are SOL and then need to fit an internal card (annoying and impeeds air flow). Pay for a good motherboard brand. OcUK sell the Gigabyte range, which I love - they have very good comprehensive manuals all in English! Compare that to the likes of ASRock where you are lucky to get a few sheets of paper. Both ASUS and Gigabyte have good manuals, I cannot vouch for any others (but I'm sure people here can).

4) Air flow is king. Invest in something like the Akasa Cable Tidy kit (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/cable_sleeving.html) so you can wrap-up loose dangling cables, and generally route things better.

5) Get a good heat sink! The Arctic Cooling range are superb, quiet, cheap and keep your cpu icy. Fit a good quality rear exhaust fan too (if the case doesn't have one, most do). Pay a little extra for something like a Vantec Stealth (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Vantec.html), they are quiet and powerful. You want the rear fan to EXPELL hot air out the back of the case - don't make the mistake I did with my first ever PC build years ago, I thought the rear fan was to blow cool air over the cpu.. heh :) It isn't, it's to suck hot air away. Fit a fan at the front of your case too if you need. Don't go mad though, unless you are going to be hammering it on the heat scale you don't need to turn your case into a mini wind turbine.

6) Use good quality internal cables. Rounded Akasa for example. You will find them easier to route, easier to tie and they look cool too ;)

Ok that's it for me really. Amazingly I would say one of the hardest elements when it comes to connecting your case ports to your motherboard is getting the tiny little connectors the right way around! (things like LED Power, Reset switch, power on/off, etc). I'm sure there is probably a good hard and fast rule to follow regarding this, but I don't know it :) I always end up consulting the + and - values in the motherboard manual over and over.

Have fun!

Rich

When I've decided on the motherboard, I always like to download the manual for the motherboard before I buy. Will give you a good idea as two how things fit together, and I like to see the compatablilty lists that some websites have to make sure I buy a processor and memory that have been tested with the motherboard.

Back
Top Bottom