• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

A little help need on psu and 2900

skunksta said:
OMG it just came.Its the size of a house brick from my 850 PE (which i thought was big) to this monster.Big step up hope i see it in fps to.And dont wish i got the gts but as i said i am a online gamer and the pretty's always get turned down to make the player stand out as much as poss. And as it was cheaper than the cheapest gts 640 (£20-25) if i get 10 fps less in some games than the gts i dont mind one bit.

How much was the 2900? If your going to turn all the pretty's down you've wasted your money with a card like that.

Of cause the ODD single player game i play will have it turned up but for me with a 27" hd tv in my bedroom and planing on getting me a HD player this was the way to go.Plus if u read my 1st post you would have seen.In some games there are glitch's like jumps u can make with high fps etc (EG. in cod2 you get over 500 fps and u have no footsteps) not every server lets you play with 500 fps but you get my point or should.

skunksta said:
Of cause the ODD single player game i play will have it turned up but for me with a 27" hd tv in my bedroom and planing on getting me a HD player this was the way to go.Plus if u read my 1st post you would have seen.In some games there are glitch's like jumps u can make with high fps etc (EG. in cod2 you get over 500 fps and u have no footsteps) not every server lets you play with 500 fps but you get my point or should.

I dont think you'll get over 500fps even on low :p, surely not anyway.

Dx7 instead of 9 and all settings on low and res 1280 x 960 (yes i know my nat res is 1650 x 1050) and i sure will maybe not stable all the time but i will get over.My old 850 PE with 1024 x 768 res same settings got over 500 fps of cause not stable but never under 100 even in the heat of battle .Try it

BTW of cause it dont look to pretty but in a clan war your not looking to see how green the leaf is. :D

Last edited:
Ye its in now and as i said over 500 of cause in ugly mode and dx7 but it does the job and hooked to my TV in my bedroom the HD 5.1 will come in very handy in time.I cant tell you how it bears up to the gts as i have never owned one but i am happy for the price and maybe oneday going cross fire my mobo is not sli so that would have been a new mobo to in times to come if sli/cross fire ever make a big dif and games start supporting them a lot more.

PS i am now part of the ATI fan boy club on this forum :D

Last edited:
Well I got the GTX and such installed, so far so good noticed my PSU fan spins up when I play games which was expected. (pushes out slightly hotter air too)

Had some stability issues at first but that was due to my overclock with the additional 2 sticks of ram, lowered it for now [3.3 > 3.1Ghz].

Stalker is running so great with all on max really enjoying it atm. :)

fornowagain said:
I don't know about that, Tom's using about 300W at 12v with an XT. The GTX uses less.
LOL

See my power consumption thread here http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17740101

My single GTX and C2D 6600 cpu
Only one of the cpu cores is underload from TAT and ati tool is stressing the 8800gtx

DSC00173.jpg

Last edited:
Your point? That's the system load after losses, kinda different :confused:

That's well under 300W at 12v. With albeit one core (add +60w for the second), but overclocked higher, higher vcore, a hungry 680i chipset (965,-30W), 4Gb ram and not to mention watercooling. Actually pretty good going by your sig and just where it should be. Try both cores and overclock the card, should get to 480-500W, still around 30A/360W at 12v. There's hope for Hiper owner yet ;)

Case in point though, he's running it. Didn't say it was ideal, borderline tbh, only that he might get away with it at stock.

This is a good example.

http://www.behardware.com/art/imprimer/670/

- ASUSTeK P5N32-E SLI Deluxe (nForce 680i SLI)
- Intel Core 2 Duo QX6700 @ 3.2 GHz @ 1.5V
- Ventirad Scythe Infinity
- 2 x Albatron GeForce 8800 GTX
- 4 x 1 GB DDR2 800 @ 2.25V
- 2 x Western Digital Raptor 74 GB
- Samsung 250 GB + Maxtor 250 GB
- Lite-On CD-RW 48x
- Enermax 120mm at max
- Creative Sound Blaster Audigy
687.6W load at the wall.
567.6W from the psu.
82.6% efficiency.