A little help please not sure what could be busted

Suspended
OP
Lockups, freezing and BSODs are usually caused by software, CPU, PCIe devices, memory and motherboard.

But the issue you are facing is complete shutdown which will only be PSU, PSU Cables or Mobo.
Yep its definitely not locking up, it first I thought it was my power tripping, that’s how it goes off, I was leaning toward the motherboard especially with the pcie dropping from 16x to 8 and then to 4x. I know whichever one I pick to replace it will be the other.

Suspended
OP
And speak of the devil it starts again, on thing I have noticed is when it does it, if I switch it straight back on it turns back off right a few times, before it even tries to go through its bios codes, and when it does finally get through the codes it switches back off before it gets to the boot screen.
the only thing that would allow me to get back to windows this time was removing and then reinstalling the graphics card

Last edited:
Associate
i would unplug it and check the pci connector on the gpu for damager and or dirt, also check the socket for any dust etc, finally ddu the drivers and go from there, could be dust or even dirt or hair in the socket got in there when you took it out maybe

Last edited:
Associate
Last time I had something similar to this it went on for months, I was sure it was hardware. Ended up doing a fresh windows install which fixed it.

It would drive me nuts because the shut downs were so random, like you i could sometimes game for days fine then the next day it would shut down watching a youtube video.

Suspended
OP
Last time I had something similar to this it went on for months, I was sure it was hardware. Ended up doing a fresh windows install which fixed it.

It would drive me nuts because the shut downs were so random, like you i could sometimes game for days fine then the next day it would shut down watching a youtube video.
i would unplug it and check the pci connector on the gpu for damager and or dirt, also check the socket for any dust etc, finally ddu the drivers and go from there, could be dust or even dirt or hair in the socket got in there when you took it out maybe
This is exactly whats happening, I’m currently restoring to a point last week, and then will remove and reinstall the drivers to see if that works

Associate
when it was happening to me i tried restoring but it continued, it wasn't until a full nuke and fresh install it fixed the problem. I'm not saying it will for you but it did for me.

Suspended
OP
Well that didn’t work, I have just spent 10 mins trying to get past the bios check codes, for it to crash on the boot screen a few times, to get into windows to crash 2 mins into a game

edit now I can’t even get to the bios

Last edited:
Suspended
OP
New one now, try to power on and it it will get to checking the bios codes then off it goes, but I then have to switch the psu off to try again, the retry button on the motherboard is none responsive, the graphics card is out of the board and hdmi plugged into the board

Last edited:
Associate
If you're pressing the power button on the case and there's no response is your PSU even starting (fan in the PSU spinning [unless it has some eco mode where it doesn't do that])?

I'd absolutely rule out any kind of software issues tbh.

Suspended
OP
Ok this thing is going out of the window soon, I couldn’t get past the bios check so I though clear cmos and take out the battery. Now back into windows working fine

Suspended
OP
Were you running some kind of non-stock setting? I know you said you were at stock earlier but perhaps something is unstable.
I was overclocked and running the memo at it’s rated speed, until all this started, now totally stock including the memory, I think I may have to bite the bullet and nuke my windows drive

Last edited:
Associate
I'm not convinced it's a software issue. It seems intermittent and the lack of crashing after rollbacks might be a fluke, after all the problem seems to come back?

I'd run a couple of days on totally stock settings now that you've cleared cmos and see what happens.

Suspended
OP
I'm not convinced it's a software issue. It seems intermittent and the lack of crashing after rollbacks might be a fluke, after all the problem seems to come back?

I'd run a couple of days on totally stock settings now that you've cleared cmos and see what happens.
You could be right, as soon is I tried to run the memory at its rated speed by switching on xmp the shut offs and failed boots have stared again

Last edited:
Suspended
OP
I’m now wondering if it could be the CPUs memory controller, I’m trying a bios update, but while I’m watching the board the fault code is flashing between D1 and 00

Last edited:
Suspended
OP
Right so pc booted fine when using the igpu, as soon as i try to boot the pc from the graphics card it craps out, so what do we think, broken PCIE slot or busted graphics card, I’m leaning toward the board as in the bios it was running the PCIE at 1.0 8x edit it’s now running at 4.0 4x

Last edited:
Suspended
OP
Your board got a second pcie x16 slot to test the graphics card in?
It’s hardline watercooled so a massive pain, I think Its definitely the board or card as I’m now getting 3 beeps(no gpu detected) and it switches to the IGPU and then boots up fine and dandy on the IGPU

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom