A nooby question - BB installation

Associate
Hi,

Moving into my Uni house tonight. Our modem was meant to be delivered the other day but no one was in so its been rescheduled for Wednesday, which is too long without internet. My dad has an old modem I can take up but obviously we need to pass key. So, the girl whose name it is in (she's not very good with computers) phoned up and asked for the key. The guy who we deal with said, 'you need to wait for the moden to be delivered, it doesn't work like that, you need the stuff to be installed for it'. Now, we know people down the road who are with Virgin too, a modem was just dropped off, they plugged it in and bobs your uncle.

I really dont know what he means by 'stuff installed'. The only thing i can think of is a disk? But then we all know you dont even need the disks. We have all the appropriate wall connections etc. Surely I can just plug the modem into the wall sockets, get the pass key, and there we go?

Does anyone have experience with this who can tell me what the problem might be?

Thanks.

Soldato
Depends if you're having ADSL or Cable installed.

ADSL, you should just be able to ask for the broadband username and password. (Depending on ISP, some don't give out this information as they require you use their preconfigured router/modem) then plug a router in of your choice.

Cable - Not too sure on this one, i'd expect you can just plug any old co-axial modem/router into the line and it would start working.

Associate
I don't understand - I have Be in two seperate places (my parents house and my flat) and we have never needed a key?

Grab your dad's modem and plug it into the master phone socket (with a micro-filter if needed). Then plug the modem into your router. Or, if you have an integrated modem in your router then simply plug the router into the master socket and your computer (s) into the ethernet ports on the router.

Pasted from Be's forums:

These are the coreect setting for other routers

The settings that you should apply on the device are:

1) VCI= 101
2) VPI= 0
3) DSL Connectivity Mode: RFC 1483 bridged
4) Protocol: IPoATM
5) Encapsulation: LLC -based
6) Modulation: G.dmt 992.5 Annex A (Annex M for Be Pro members)
7) Primary DNS server:
Secondary DNS server:

No username and password are required to use Be*'s service.

Bob's your uncle!

Tom

EDIT: Wait a minute I think I completely misread the title of your thread - which ISP are you with?

Last edited:

J.B

J.B

Soldato
EDIT: Wait a minute I think I completely misread the title of your thread - which ISP are you with?

Seeing as he mentions the people down the road with Virgin I assume he is getting it too.

To the OP: You need to use the modem they provide, it's not like ADSL.

Back
Top Bottom