A passing star shifting Neptune’s orbit could wreck the solar system

Underboss

If a star flying past our solar system moved Neptune's orbit by just 0.1 per cent, it could eventually cause the other planets to smash into one another or get thrown out of the solar system entirely

Mmm, how close is the next nearest star to us? At 40,208,000,000,000 km away I think we are good

Stars come relatively close passing by every ~50,000 years with I believe one in about 30,000 years time and then another in 1.3-1.4 million years coming close enough they might disturb objects in the outer solar system.

EDIT: From a quick Google looks like the last one was ~70,000 years ago.

No need to worry, it's not for another 1.2MY that Gliese 710 will pass close enough to perturb the solar system. And barring some medical breakthrough in the next few years we'll all be dust by then.

Stars come relatively close passing by every ~50,000 years with I believe one in about 30,000 years time and then another in 1.3-1.4 million years coming close enough they might disturb objects in the outer solar system.

EDIT: From a quick Google looks like the last one was ~70,000 years ago.
Got time for a quick pint then

This sounds like the sort of rubbish videos people watch on YouTube.

If xxx happens then xxx will happen.

Spoken with A.Very.Serious.Voice and dramatic music in the background.

I wonder if we were immortal if we would worry about these possible events in the future .the perceived passage of time speeds up as a day becomes a smaller percentage of our time on Earth ,why is my banana plant talking back to me ,that's weird man

That's a lot of could and might for a scientific article.

Carry on as normal, nothing outlandish will happen in any meaningful amount of time, and by that point we will be almost certainly off-world and probably not biologically human any more anyway so it wouldn't matter.

Back
Top Bottom