Associate
So I decided to build a cool and quiet rig for gaming and UE5 + Some Modelling + Whatnot

Requirements:
  • quiet
  • proper airflow
  • water cooled
  • easy to maintain
  • 560mm radiator
  • as tidy as possible
  • as cool as possible
  • as compact as possible
  • a decent audio interface
  • speedy front IO
  • decent looks
  • monitoring panel
  • resistant to leaks
  • upgradable (with other water cooled components)

Nice to have:
  • cheap (I don't have much hope here)

I searched if there were any reasonably-sized PC cases which could fit a 560 rad. No results. So I decided (not a matter for discussion) to build a custom PC case of aluminium extrusions and some bespoke machined parts (perforated side panels, machined mounts, machined and bend sheet metal parts).

ATM I am searching for companies that could offer some of the aforementioned services (bending, machining, waterjet cutting) for a (relatively) affordable price (e.g. I asked for a quote for radiator mounts and been quoted like 2k). The parts I used are not that important. I could provide details if there would be an interest, but for know all you need to know is it is a 4080 FE + 7950X direct die. Side panels are meant to be waterjet-perforated 1.5mm copper sheets (no special reason, no I don't think that it would affect cooling performance).

Case WIP (Design)
Pump mounting slider
Radiator mount
Mounted radiator
PSU mount
Shroud with a cutout for an external audio interface
Am IO tray that keeps cables inside the case and matches IO cutouts on the front
Bare frames and panels

I apologize for external links, but I couldn't upload any images.
I would appreciate any insight, or offers (PM).

ATM I am looking for a CAD model of any ATX motherboard (the model should not be be a converted polygonal model), and for a way to attach internal header cables to the tray (I have no idea how I am going to do that). This would be it for now. I hope you found this log interesting, or even better, you have an advice or comments.

Last edited:
Soldato
Create a free GrabCAD account. Plenty of ATX boards modelled there. A lot of the time they're modelled using Inventor but regularly have STEP versions too.

As for manufacture, I've used Fractory before and they're OK for pricing. One-off runs are always going to be horrible money, but cetainly not 2 grand just for some bloody radiator mounts :p They do laser cutting and folding and I think machining too. The machining will be stupid money though.

Associate
OP
A little update. I decided which feet I am going to use for now, so updated the model, decided how I am going to fix the audio interface inside the shroud (one, two) and how I am implementing the front IO (I am using corresponding couplers and a 3D-printed piece to hold them firmly in place). This way I don't have to do dirty hacks like just gluing things in place. Eventually I would like to add another panel that covers the radiator module at the top and features a panel with performance monitoring screen. But that could be done a bit later and would be compatible with this design. As of now, I am lacking competence to design and program such device.

Regarding a grabcad account, I do have one, however many models there are just converted polygonal models which kill my current two-core ~1.5GHz laptop. All I needed was the exact dimensions, positions of the mounting holes, and CPU/GPU slots. I ended up just measuring my motherboard... far faster then searching for some creative pieces which may have nothing to do with the ATX spec.

I hope so far this was an interesting thread. Looking forward to some critique or comments. ATM I consider the design finalized and after I validate tolerances I would begin asking for quotes. Cthulhu save me, I mean my wallet.

Last edited:
Associate
I work in a small engineering company, we can laser (&punch), press & weld. Either Aluminium, Mild Steel or Stainless.

Can drop me a PM if you wish I can have a look at what you're after and might be able to quote?
If you got CAD files or drawings even better.

Got local contact with powdercoating company we use also.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom