A Spec for Music please

luminous said:
I can run about 4/5 vsti`s with 25 stereo audio channels with fx and reason and thats on an athlon xp 2600 and 1 gig ram.I`ll just bounce down the vstis to free up memory.
If he`s recording his mixes and applying effects etc i`m surprised he`s not writing tunes himself,its so easy having reason as your workhorse.
That spec looks like overkill for just recording audio & applying fx but if you think theres any chance he might get into production then i`m sure he will be more than happy with your spec,and with a pcie board he might even get into games.Everything would be faster,encoding,applying fx etc and thats always preferable to an old machine or a celeron.The audiophile is the one i`d go for,theres loads of options for breakout boxes etc should he want to go that route.

cool.. I am just concious that yes he may well get into more heavy stuff, as one usually does with these things (or give up altogether). Plus it will be a long time before he upgrades again and i know you can't future proof, but every little helps.

luminous said:
I can run about 4/5 vsti`s with 25 stereo audio channels with fx and reason and thats on an athlon xp 2600 and 1 gig ram.I`ll just bounce down the vstis to free up memory.
If he`s recording his mixes and applying effects etc i`m surprised he`s not writing tunes himself,its so easy having reason as your workhorse.
That spec looks like overkill for just recording audio & applying fx but if you think theres any chance he might get into production then i`m sure he will be more than happy with your spec,and with a pcie board he might even get into games.Everything would be faster,encoding,applying fx etc and thats always preferable to an old machine or a celeron.The audiophile is the one i`d go for,theres loads of options for breakout boxes etc should he want to go that route.

I guess you're not using the Waves convolution reverb then. That loves to take all your processing power. Much like the rubbish roomworks reverb that comes with the latest cubase. Reason 3 on its own can be a bit too much with lots of stuff going on. I do speak from experience and would definitely suggest getting a pretty decent spec just so that it'll be good in the future with the next generations of software.

sinister_stu said:
He might be playing with Reason 3 if he's into that sort of thing, which used to get to 100% load on an xp2200 with 1 Gb of RAM.

Stuff like processing and encoding always takes up 100% cpu whatever cpu you have because it tries to do it as fast as possible unless you set it otherwise.

you could probably build a system for just recording music for around £400 (Much Less if you go with a CRT monitor)

You can get a Mothboard Bundle like this one -

AMD Sempron 2800, 512MB RAM, Socket 754 Motherboard Micro ATX

for £125, Then just buy a cheap Case £25, then a cheap PSU £10, then a cheap graphics card £50, 250GB Hard drive £50, then a cheap £20 sound card total = £280, then add on for a Cheap 19 Inch TFT £150 total = £430....

For just recording and listening to music that setup would be fine... no point in spending £900 to just record Vinyl tracks :)...

EMU 0404 gets quality recordings through midi, analogue mono ins (2), or stereo digital at 96khz, 24bit.

I use it to record and get good results, and it's cheap. :D

I can multitrack recordings with Fruity loops or cubase LE(came with it so no need to buy software) on a 1.1ghz athlon with 256mb ram with no latency issues.

However, for using midi recordings you need <=512mb ram.

Good thing about the EMU is you can disable monitoring on the software as it has it's own zero latency loop for monitoring so it copies the signal for recording and the uncopied bit is just relayed to the speakers with 0%cpu.

Not available on ocuk though. Goes for ~£60.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom