A taste for it

Associate
Hi All,

So yesterday i had the chance to have a go with a HTC vive and really enjoyed it. Found myself looking today at what i'd need to get into it and checked my steam VR score.

a 5.5(medium) is what I got with it being just outside of 'Ready'.

I currently have an i7 920 and a GTX 970.

My question really is where should i upgrade first, i'm not looking to go out and get everything now, but a long term plan to get into VR. should i start with a new MB, CPU, RAM first and then get a GPU, or should the GTX 970 be good enough for entry level.

Thanks in advance.

Associate
I got my rift on the same setup as you, 920 was overclocked to 3.4ghz

I went to a 1080 first and it made some difference but I was getting stuttering every now and again, so took a jump to new platform AMD 1800x and this made it much smoother.

I would go CPU first, you are running 10 years behind what's available today, then upgrade the GPU. Obviously cost is a lot for either or both upgrades and I did both plus the rift over 2 months so took a huge hit on my pocket but never looked back.

Associate
OP
Hey all, yeh i figured my CPU would need upgrading first.

how does this look? I wouldnt be looking to do it all in one go, just bit by bit

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8500 3GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B360M H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory

alternative would be to do it over a longer period of time and get an i7...

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey all, yeh i figured my CPU would need upgrading first.

how does this look? I wouldnt be looking to do it all in one go, just bit by bit

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8500 3GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B360M H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory

alternative would be to do it over a longer period of time and get an i7...

Personally for a little more, I'd go for the Ryzen 2600X, double the threads, comes standard with a good air cooler and also clocked higher than the Intel CPU.

Associate
OP
Personally for a little more, I'd go for the Ryzen 2600X, double the threads, comes standard with a good air cooler and also clocked higher than the Intel CPU.

Yeh, to be honest i've never really looked at AMD CPU's always found myself gravitating towards intel when i start putting baskets together.

Associate
OP
This is where im upto at the moment.

My budget is around £500 as i still need to add a case & cooler on top of this.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £522.06 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Back
Top Bottom