A typical spec me...£4k budget

Soldato
Hello,
I tend to buy a brand new computer every 4-5 years, getting the best I can at that point.

My current PC is certainly struggling (especially since I sold my 1080Ti during the price hike and currently rocking a 1050 2GB....).

I need the main computer + monitor (monitor will also be used for work, I currently have 2x Dell 24" monitors but will use one of these as a secondary so looking for a new main monitor 144hz+ as all mine have only ever been 60hz).

At the moment game wise, I have really only been playing Valorant as it runs on a potato but that is due to selling my 1080Ti. But I do enjoy it so would be nice to have monitor that can take advantage of the higher FPS I get in it. With a new computer I will be expanding out to more modern games.

Recycling from old PC will be a Samsung 970 Plus 1TB and a 4TB HDD.

I want to buy the best I can atm to last for as long as possible as I am not a yearly upgrader.

I am thinking along the lines of 12700k/12900k, Mobo, 32GB 3600+ DDR4, 3080-3090 (inc the Ti - Although am curious abe 3090Ti but no real news on release date). I have loooked at pre-builts more than usual as I have built my own for over 20 years but it seems you can get better value iin certain pre-builts at the moment.

I am doing my own research but what would everyone recommend? I would like a 1TB Gen 4 main drive for Windows and then use the recylced parts for storage. It would also help to have a KVM whether included in the monitor or not as I will have a work laptop to plug into the same monitor + the Dell secondary and i would be easier to switch between for easier control.

What builds would you recommend? RGB is not of value to me but I understand a LOT of stuff just comes with it now.

Any help appreciated.

Soldato
Well, GPU prices haven't come down any and Yakuza-Jen even bumped up their own prices.
https://www.guru3d.com/news_story/n...ices_of_its_rtx_30_series_gpus_in_europe.html

So better forget that 3090 Ti...
At least if you want to have budget left for anything else, including above mainstream monitor.
2560x1440 is really mainstream now.
And even if prices won't lower anytime soon, having competition should keep bringing performance advances at decent pace.

For high end PC would be looking at 32" 4K to have proper screen real estate for all uses and immersion.
Though high end panel models are still on their way, if you want wide gamut, FALD etc.
From currently available models Innolux panel Gigabytes are the most balanced.
AU Optronics has the widest colour gamut panels, but response times are last gen.

And at that budget level you should be really looking for 2TB drive, instead of another standard sized to not have drive half full after couple big games.
TeamGroup T-Force Cardea Zero Z440 2TB NVMe PCIe Gen4 M.2 Solid State Drive= £239.99

Associate
Hello,
I tend to buy a brand new computer every 4-5 years, getting the best I can at that point.

My current PC is certainly struggling (especially since I sold my 1080Ti during the price hike and currently rocking a 1050 2GB....).

I need the main computer + monitor (monitor will also be used for work, I currently have 2x Dell 24" monitors but will use one of these as a secondary so looking for a new main monitor 144hz+ as all mine have only ever been 60hz).

At the moment game wise, I have really only been playing Valorant as it runs on a potato but that is due to selling my 1080Ti. But I do enjoy it so would be nice to have monitor that can take advantage of the higher FPS I get in it. With a new computer I will be expanding out to more modern games.

Recycling from old PC will be a Samsung 970 Plus 1TB and a 4TB HDD.

I want to buy the best I can atm to last for as long as possible as I am not a yearly upgrader.

I am thinking along the lines of 12700k/12900k, Mobo, 32GB 3600+ DDR4, 3080-3090 (inc the Ti - Although am curious abe 3090Ti but no real news on release date). I have loooked at pre-builts more than usual as I have built my own for over 20 years but it seems you can get better value iin certain pre-builts at the moment.

I am doing my own research but what would everyone recommend? I would like a 1TB Gen 4 main drive for Windows and then use the recylced parts for storage. It would also help to have a KVM whether included in the monitor or not as I will have a work laptop to plug into the same monitor + the Dell secondary and i would be easier to switch between for easier control.

What builds would you recommend? RGB is not of value to me but I understand a LOT of stuff just comes with it now.

Any help appreciated.
Nvidea drop just happenned. 3090Fe available for £1,399 and can add to basket, so be quick

Soldato
That Ram is a massive waste of cash.
And that's understatement.
Team Group 8Pack Edition 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C16 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit= £209.99

Cooler is another waste of money.
Arctic Liquid Freezer II High Performance CPU Water Cooler - 360mm= £94.99
Arctic Liquid Freezer II A-RGB High Performance CPU Water Cooler - 360mm= £109.99

Same for SSD.
Crucial P5P 1TB M.2 2280 PCI-e 4.0 x4 3D NAND NVMe Solid State Drive= £112.99

And actually at that budget 2TB NVMe should be starting point for not having drive half full after two big games.
TeamGroup T-Force Cardea Zero Z440 2TB NVMe PCIe Gen4 M.2 Solid State Drive= £239.99
Which would be paid by savings in previous.

Associate

Interestingly,another forum member was speaking to ocuk, and they advised him to buy either crucial or corsair ram rather than patriot viper, as said it wasn't as reliable . Reviews for it are positive though...know anyone using it? Would like to know their thoughts

Associate
And that's understatement.
Team Group 8Pack Edition 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C16 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit= £209.99

Cooler is another waste of money.
Arctic Liquid Freezer II High Performance CPU Water Cooler - 360mm= £94.99
Arctic Liquid Freezer II A-RGB High Performance CPU Water Cooler - 360mm= £109.99

Same for SSD.
Crucial P5P 1TB M.2 2280 PCI-e 4.0 x4 3D NAND NVMe Solid State Drive= £112.99

And actually at that budget 2TB NVMe should be starting point for not having drive half full after two big games.
Which would be paid by savings in previous.

he said "I want to buy the best I can". u buy arctic liquid freezer when u struggling with money, when u want a budget pc. if he says the best, then why would he buy aio with cfm 48.8, instead 75cfm.

Soldato
Soldato
Interestingly,another forum member was speaking to ocuk, and they advised him to buy either crucial or corsair ram rather than patriot viper, as said it wasn't as reliable . Reviews for it are positive though...know anyone using it? Would like to know their thoughts
Seen a few posts on the memory area from people that just couldn't get it to run at rated speed. I have that RAM as well (assuming it's still the same - code is the same, but bought about a year ago) and couldn't get it to work at xmp speeds, had to run it at 3200mhz. Should have returned it but couldn't be bothered at the time, just wanted to get my pc running.

So yeah, I'd steer clear of it too.

Associate
Seen a few posts on the memory area from people that just couldn't get it to run at rated speed. I have that RAM as well (assuming it's still the same - code is the same, but bought about a year ago) and couldn't get it to work at xmp speeds, had to run it at 3200mhz. Should have returned it but couldn't be bothered at the time, just wanted to get my pc running.

So yeah, I'd steer clear of it too.
Cheers GreatAuk,
good to know(was looking at some 'user' reviews last night and some said the same thing, couldn't get the rated speed, and certainly not beyond if could). Unless someone on a really tight budget, not going to recommend it now in a build, or at least give them forewarning, then they can make their own decision

Associate
Arctic Freezer has 50% thicker radiator for more surface area than overpriced fashion brands!
Also advertised fan specs are mostly useless for real world:
https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress....w-specs-are-poor-measures-of-fan-performance/

The Corsair cooler isn't bad(it has got good reviews, part of which below from tom's Hardware, esp as you get a commander core in there(£40 from OCuk to buy seperately), and seen it for £135(so in effect £95 if you need to connect multiple fans and need a fan hub). Think a lot depends on what the OP wants. As he doesn't give a monkeys about RGB (well, 'rgb has no value to me' was the quote:cry:, or the looks and just wants best price/performance then think it's a no brainer, go for the Arctic. If he wants rgb, then the corsair's not a bad option, price has dropped(cheapest I saw was £179 when I was looking for my build) and allows a future upgrade to add the lcd screen if wanted. Personally, i don't like the look of the pump head that sits on the cpu, though it is growing on me,and pretty much any reputable 360mm aio will keep a 12700k cool. Just get one with a good warranty of 5yrs+(for example, MSI ones 2 yrs, Corsair 5yrs, Arctic 6yrs)

The H150i Elite Capellix itself is no cooling slouch, as the Corsair performance AIO easily keeps pace with some of our best-rated 360mm coolers. Toss in the added benefit of having the Commander CORE unit to manage pump speed, PWM fan curves, logging, alerting and monitoring as well as RGB lighting and you have an excellent liquid cooler setup in the H150i Elite Capellix plus the ability to manage a few extra Corsair case fans.

While this does nudge users to expand their PC horizons by utilizing the Corsair iCUE and RGB ecosystem, it still makes a compelling argument by providing centralized management of the H150i Elite Capellix cooler as well as additional components. Power users want full control of their systems, and the ability to have a simplified, centralized setup with granular administrative control is always an appealing option.

Back
Top Bottom