A year ago today…how painful was it?

Soldato
I remember it very well as I was off sick from work with depression and anxiety. I watched the closing of the laying in state at 6am ish then I went to bed for a few hours and watched the funeral from about 9am until 3pm ish then I went back to bed. If I had not have been signed off work I would have been at work and missed it because my ex scrooge boss didn't allow the extra bank holiday off.

I know this is probably a troll thread, but I'll bite. I was mostly in disbelief on the day as she died on my birthday, and I know the date (8th September) is now tarnished somewhat. It's like having a birthday that falls on "9/11" (11th September). Then it was during her televised funeral when I saw the flowers on her coffin that it finally hit me :(

OWMJpTM.jpg

Also, I was off work sick for 4 months Jul/Aug/Sep/Oct 2022 having had 4 eye operations, and so on a more light-hearted front, I now jokingly say that in the time I was off sick, I went through 2 monarchs and 3 prime ministers!

Caporegime
bot said:
He also said that police officers were drafted in from forces right across the country, and so whilst the London-based ones were perhaps ready for what they faced, some of the more remotely based personnel had a bit of a culture shock!

I can't explain why but this misuse of the exclamation mark is really grinding my gears. As my Primary 5 teacher Mrs Dimmoch used to say, "Overuse of punctuation is the sign of a weak and lazy mind."

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The only thing about long duty hours which is a pain if not managed well is needing the toilet, especially if you have some type of condition in that respect. Pretty much everything else you can prepare for, as long as you able to - in some cases there might be some [silly] restrictions if in ceremonial dress, etc. I'm often surprised how many people do stuff like that and don't have simple things like a pack of travel tissues, a few sweets, etc. even if it isn't their first time. (Then there are things like toe exercises, etc. to help with circulation and so on).

As a minimum compact "kit" I have a Victorinox Classic SD, Olight i3E (i1R is a longer life alternative) and either some plasters or small roll of elastic medical tape, if possible wet wipes or sanitiser don't go amiss. Though less necessary with phones a pen and paper can also be handy to have.

If I can have my sling pack with me even better as I have a bottle of water, power banks, etc.

For the most part anything else quite frankly is a lack of fortitude, unless people genuinely do have things like a back condition, etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom