A3D Audio

Associate
Years ago, I used to have an aureal vortex2 sound card. This utilised A3d, and to be blunt, it was amazing.

Sadly, the company who made the technology was bankrupt through a lawsuit with Creative, who saw their technology as a threat.

It seems people are still updating the drivers, so it should work with windows 10. I'm going to buy one of the old a3d cards from eBay and give it ago.

Is there any reason (drivers working and all) that this shouldn't work?

Man of Honour
Saddens me there is no standard API for binaural audio and sound physics modelling - I heard a demo of what Aureal were working on (advanced modelling of surface materials, etc.) shortly before the whole thing with Creative and it was awesome.

Associate
OP
It's crazy that in the past 15 years there has been no commercial 3D audio developments which match the A3D stuff from 2001.

I used to play HLDM competitively, and the A3D gave an advantage as your opponents footsteps could tell you their distance and even height, it was that accurate :D.

Soldato
I remember sound being such a huge focus and quite a few times a big selling point for games, While the sound in games isn't bad now it seems over the last few years, In my experience, We've completely stalled.

I'd love proper binaural sound options for a stereo or headphone/set setup.

Man of Honour
EAX has much more static/basic versions of the environment functionality, CMSS-3D isn't terrible but far inferior to what Aureal were working on.

Back
Top Bottom