A5 sportback, 4 series gran coupe or Arteon

Associate
With a little on it's way soon (first child) I've been looking at these car and just wanted some opinion on them but will try book a test drive on each.

I found the following:

2019 Arteon 272ps with all the option extras for £27.5k with 16k miles which seems decent.

2018 440i grand coupe with 28ks mile with £27.7:
  • M Adaptive Suspension
  • Towbar
  • Reversing Camera
  • Comfort Access
  • Fineline Anthracite wood interior trim
  • High-Beam Assistant
  • Active Cruise Control
  • Parking Assistant
  • Apple CarPlay preparation
  • Enhanced Bluetooth- wireless charging
  • Digital Cockpit
  • WiFi Hotspot
  • Advanced Parking package

2018 S line 2.0 TFSI quattro 252 PS S tronic 31.9k miles £27.2k​

- Virtual cockpit
- wireless charging
- tech pack
- leather/alcantara (not full leather)

Probably the worst time buying a car.

Caporegime
I have a 428i GC and there’s not that much room in the back, especially if you have a chunky car seat as well although there are Isofix points. I’d think you’d be better off with a 5 series touring, ideally a 530i with the much changed engine over the 28i which has some inherent issues.

Ive done a thread here (search for Bavarian and it’ll show up) and also on Pistonheads, https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=47&t=1942052 which has some interior shots. It’s not tiny inside but the roofline may cause issues. Best go and have a look.

Soldato
What is it that's the main drive for the car purchase, are you looking for a fun car on twisty roads that can handle the family, more space, cheaper to run etc.

What are you currently driving

Associate
OP
What is it that's the main drive for the car purchase, are you looking for a fun car on twisty roads that can handle the family, more space, cheaper to run etc.

What are you currently driving

Don't have a car at the moment, the previous car was a Golf mk7 with a 1.4 TSI engine. Guess I'm looking for a family car that's practical that has some poke to it. It will rarely be used on twisty road not many in London :) and won't be doing massive amount of mileage but I do like the idea of doing road trips with the family in the future

Associate
OP
I have a 428i GC and there’s not that much room in the back, especially if you have a chunky car seat as well although there are Isofix points. I’d think you’d be better off with a 5 series touring, ideally a 530i with the much changed engine over the 28i which has some inherent issues.

Ive done a thread here (search for Bavarian and it’ll show up) and also on Pistonheads, https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=47&t=1942052 which has some interior shots. It’s not tiny inside but the roofline may cause issues. Best go and have a look.
Thank I'll take a look

Man of Honour
Is there a reason why you're not considering the 430i? It's more equivalent to the other cars on your list than the 440i is.

Soldato
I was looking at both A5 sportback and 4GC too. Went with the BMW in the end as they seemed to be better spec'd than similar priced A5s. I've not put a baby seat in the back of mine but there's plenty of room for my girlfriends 11 year old daughter

Soldato
£27k is a decent budget for a car. With a baby on the way and you want a bit of poke, have you considered a mk7/7.5 Golf R estate?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
With a newborn, it's likely one of you will be in the back quite a bit next to him/her.
Rear-facing seats also take up a lot of space, so you should take both rear headroom and legroom into account.

Any reason for wanting a coupe version of a saloon?
Clearly, you should go for the estate :p

Soldato
How many overnight stays are you planning? I had an XE with a paltry 330l boot and it was a real struggle. The E43 has a 540l which is just right especially with a big pram. Seems like the 440GC is between the two which may be a bit too small. Arteon still in the 500l range.

3 series estate probably the best bet if you don't need the "security" a regular saloon boot offers.

Soldato
Seems like way too much to spend on a Mk7 Golf. All three cars he has mentioned are better.
Just because your budget is £27k doesn't mean you have to spend it all lol

As someone with a young child who found a f31 estate a bit small I'm not sure I agree with you in this instance. Better cars in general maybe, better for the intended use maybe not.

Associate
OP
With a newborn, it's likely one of you will be in the back quite a bit next to him/her.
Rear-facing seats also take up a lot of space, so you should take both rear headroom and legroom into account.

Any reason for wanting a coupe version of a saloon?
Clearly, you should go for the estate :p
Not really considered an estate mainly due to looks. Maybe I'll have another glance

Associate
OP
How many overnight stays are you planning? I had an XE with a paltry 330l boot and it was a real struggle. The E43 has a 540l which is just right especially with a big pram. Seems like the 440GC is between the two which may be a bit too small. Arteon still in the 500l range.

3 series estate probably the best bet if you don't need the "security" a regular saloon boot offers.
The space does look attractive on the Arteon and not a bad looking car either, will try get something booked in this week to test drive. According to reviews it's not a really exciting car to drive but I'm pretty sure it will a lot better than what I previously had.

Back
Top Bottom