Abandoned Seafarers

Soldato
The Donald Duckling saga happened when I was a cadet at South Tyneside College, we were actually collecting money in the college to feed the crew, buy them SIM cards etc. When you consider how powerful the UK Maritime & Coastguard Agency are/were, and the resources at their disposal, it was an absolute embarrassment that that ****-show was ever allowed to happen.

Subsequently spent 10 years in the Merchant Navy working as an engineer, before I jacked it in in 2022 to work in the offshore oil and gas industry, where I’m a “Marine Technician” now, on a multiple of the salary for a lot less reponsibility. I’d like to think when my daughter’s a bit older and a bit more independent, I might be able to volunteer for the Mission to Seafarers, seeing as I live in Liverpool. Not for the religious fruitcakery as it’s a Catholic organisation, but to do stuff like driving a mini bus taking seafarers visiting the port for shore leave, to shops and and for medical treatment etc. I’ve seen first hand how the shipping industry screws over the people it relies on (I myself was lied to by an employer, and didn’t meet aforementioned daughter until she was 2 months old, when I was assured they’d have me home well before the due date), so I’d like to help those going through it in some way, if I can.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom