• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

About the 5700xt

Associate
So I’m about to replace my sapphire tri x r9290 but I’m stuck on which one to get.
I want a reference card so I can watercool but I also want to overclock the card so I want a custom card with better components etc......but iirc there were water blocks for custom cards I’m sure I saw ones for ASUS and msi cards will there be water blocks for custom cards?

If I go reference it will be the sapphire but custom red Devil or the pulse, I like the red devil has 2x 8 pin power (is that even needed for 7nm?) so should be able to get a good stable oc?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/checkout/cart

Soldato
Have you already got a loop setup? If not then save the money and buy a better card with the extra money, seems odd to watercool a 5700xt.

Associate
OP
Already have a loop and enough radiators to cool my xfire 290s and 2500k.

Would look odd with all them radiators cooling a 2500k or what ever is going to fill that hole in a few weeks.

If I get a ref card that is definitely being blocked, I’d block a custom card to make use of the rads and a cooler quieter pc, I wouldn’t put a block on straight away a few months or till the warranty runs out, hopefully the price will have dropped

Last edited:
Soldato
So I’m about to replace my sapphire tri x r9290 but I’m stuck on which one to get.
I want a reference card so I can watercool but I also want to overclock the card so I want a custom card with better components etc......but iirc there were water blocks for custom cards I’m sure I saw ones for ASUS and msi cards will there be water blocks for custom cards?

If I go reference it will be the sapphire but custom red Devil or the pulse, I like the red devil has 2x 8 pin power (is that even needed for 7nm?) so should be able to get a good stable oc?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/checkout/cart

Have you considered the 5700XT AE? There are pretty well binned GPUs and of reference design.
I have one and doesn't fall bellow 1950mhz, except if the game is single thread heavy (ESO) or I have set 144 fps cap on the drivers (WOT). And still under air on the pretty quiet default curve.

You do not need custom PCB etc to watercool the 5700XT. This not R9 290X. Navi is another Pascal/Turning/Vega 64/FuryX. All chips clock the same under water regardless and the power delivery is more than enough to push those chips to their limits. Except if you plan to do LN2 watercooling, then only you need better power delivery than the reference cards.

Soldato
Have you already got a loop setup? If not then save the money and buy a better card with the extra money, seems odd to watercool a 5700xt.

He has loop and define the "better card" that will "save money". 2060S which is are similar price is worse performer.
At £380 the reference card is amazing value for money, regardless if you keep it on air or under water.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/powe...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-198-pc.html

Except if you mean the £530+ 2070S, which is 40% more expensive for 6% better performance.

Associate
OP
Already have a loop and enough radiators to cool my xfire 290s and 2500k.

Would look odd with all them radiators cooling a 2500k or what ever is going to fill that hole in a few weeks
Have you considered the 5700XT AE? There are pretty well binned GPUs and of reference design.
I have one and doesn't fall bellow 1950mhz, except if the game is single thread heavy (ESO) or I have set 144 fps cap on the drivers (WOT). And still under air on the pretty quiet default curve.

You do not need custom PCB etc to watercool the 5700XT. This not R9 290X. Navi is another Pascal/Turning/Vega 64/FuryX. All chips clock the same under water regardless and the power delivery is more than enough to push those chips to their limits. Except if you plan to do LN2 watercooling, then only you need better power delivery than the reference cards.
google says the 5700xt ae is the anniversary edition? I’ll have a hunt and see if I can get one.

I was under the impression that with more power available with 2x 8 pin plus better caps and more power phases the better the chance of stability. It’s what the custom cards have.

I want to be able to play ultra settings at 1080p for longer than my 290 which I got at launch. This is why I have decided on an xt over the non xt. So far watchdogs 2, farcry5 and wildlands are all played at less than ultra settings.

Soldato
google says the 5700xt ae is the anniversary edition? I’ll have a hunt and see if I can get one.

I was under the impression that with more power available with 2x 8 pin plus better caps and more power phases the better the chance of stability. It’s what the custom cards have.

I want to be able to play ultra settings at 1080p for longer than my 290 which I got at launch. This is why I have decided on an xt over the non xt. So far watchdogs 2, farcry5 and wildlands are all played at less than ultra settings.

Ofc you can get one AE, they are sold by AMD directly.
As for non XT is a great card for watercooling, especially for 1080p and you can always flash the bios of an XT for close performance.
https://wccftech.com/flashing-the-radeon-rx-5700-with-the-rx-5700xt-vbios-for-more-performance/

But make sure you buy reference models.

As for the extra power means nothing. I had the 8+8-pin V64 Nitro and had no different than the 8+8+8-pin power Nitro.
Similarly the 8+6 pin XT has no different than 8+8 custom cards.

Last edited:
Soldato
He has loop and define the "better card" that will "save money". 2060S which is are similar price is worse performer.
At £380 the reference card is amazing value for money, regardless if you keep it on air or under water.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/powe...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-198-pc.html

Except if you mean the £530+ 2070S, which is 40% more expensive for 6% better performance.
I didn't know he already had the loop, if he didn't have the loop then I'd suggest getting a AIB 5700 XT, with a 2500k he's going to be massively bottlenecked, glad I've moved on to a 3700x.

Why? The 5700XT flies when you can control its heat output. And it's no more odd than watercooling a 2070.
At any point did I mention a 2070?

Soldato
Eh?

What's your reasoning for watercooling a 5700 XT being "odd"? It's not powerful enough? Not expensive enough?
Watercooling is expensive, at least £250 for a good loop once you've paid for blocks/fittings and that money is better put towards better hardware, he's running a 2500k, using that money on buying a 3600/16GB/B450 would be the better bet, he however already has the loop, but if he didn't then like I say.

Associate
I must admit I would water cool even if there was no benefit I just love setting things up and tinkering. That’s half the fun.

Associate
OP
Ofc you can get one AE, they are sold by AMD directly.
As for non XT is a great card for watercooling, especially for 1080p and you can always flash the bios of an XT for close performance.
https://wccftech.com/flashing-the-radeon-rx-5700-with-the-rx-5700xt-vbios-for-more-performance/
i seen the ae and I also seen the amd shop price vs vendor price. Makes sense to buy ae but no next day delivery. Just need to find more info on warranty regarding cooler removal.

Soldato
Just to add the 2500k is going to be replaced next month, haven’t decided what with yet.
I need to upgrade in steps think of it as a ninja upgrade, it’s easier to get small boxes past the wife.

Find a used 6700k or something.

Any I7 from the 2600k onwards is good enough for most games, things have barely improved since then. When more games started to make use of multiple cores things just kinda flattened out as everything just became overkill for gaming.

Soldato
i seen the ae and I also seen the amd shop price vs vendor price. Makes sense to buy ae but no next day delivery. Just need to find more info on warranty regarding cooler removal.

AMD direct (aka the AE), has better warranty for watercooling than everyone on AMD AIB side unfortunately.
Assuming you do not destroy the card you are fine if something happens to it naturally.

Back
Top Bottom