about to bite bullet on dell u2715h to pair w/ 2011 imac. Can i connect to thunderbolt on my ExtHDD?

Soldato
Hi all, i'm itching to get a second monitor for photography / general multitasking work and have almost settled on the Dell. I just wanted to ensure that it would be fine to connect it to the thunderbolt port i have available on my WD external drive (both the thunderbolt ports on my imac are taken...1 by an ssd boot drive and one by the aforementioned WD drive, which also has an extra thunderbolt). My understanding is that thunderbolt daisy chains fine like this but i just wanted to double check!

If so, what kind of cable would i use to connect them - a display port one? or a miniDP? I notice a mini dp cable is included in the box, but any ideas how long it is? I'd need 2 meters rather than 1 meter really!

many thanks.

ps - if anyone wants to suggest an alternative monitor, speak now or forever hold your peace! :D

Soldato
OP
went ahead and bit the bullet and am delighted to say that all works perfectly. It was very much plug and play and the cable was easily long enough in the end. I think i may struggle to match the colour / contrast between the two monitors but i suppose that is to be expected. The question now is which of the two i ought to use as my primary editing / proofing monitor. The contrast on the imac screen seems higher but i've yet to tweak much. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has experience of pairing another screen with the imac.

Back
Top Bottom