1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About to buy a used bike...I need ...

Discussion in 'Biker's Cafe' started by Nemeses, May 19, 2018.

1. InvaderGIR

Capodecina

And to give some explanation to that (which is correct anyway)...

https://begin-motorcycling.co.uk/useful-info/buying-a-used-bike/

E: He doesn't mean grab a handful of front brake when riding it down the road by the way.

2. arfoll

Wise Guy

I don't see how that would tell you if fork seals are shot or not? that might (if you know what a good one feels like) tell you about springs and oil in forks but seals? Sorry don't get it.

3. arfoll

Wise Guy

Agreed - that makes sense... not what IC3 is saying... ehehe. Honestly bouncing forks at standstill apart from head bearing (and rebound/softness if you know the bike a bit) I don't see what you can tell at a glance...

4. tom_e

Man of Honour

Either way some well placed kitchen roll will hide anything but the most fubar'd seals unless you go popping the dust seals out to check underneath.

5. Freeman

Soldato

You can tell if they're leaking because it leaves a ring of oil on the stanchion when the forks are compressed.
    Not a huge problem but they take ages to take apart and refill. Horrible job I've done once and always dread doing again lol.

6. Fireskull

Sgarrista

As above you'll see a ring of oil or misting on the stanchion, the dust seals just inspect, if they are cracked/split then it wont be long until the seals start going also.

7. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

Somebody said something nice...!!!