• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

About to buy - is this the quietest GTX 970?

Associate
About to press the button on a GTX 970 and have decided upon the MSI GAMING card. It needs to be silent at idle, and run relatively cool under load as it'll be within a SilverStone RVZ02 which does not have active cooling.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-259-ms.html

Are there any quieter/cooler versions which I should be considering before I click to buy?

Thanks in advance, and apologies for creating the 976,654-th thread about the GTX 970 - just after a quick answer :)

Associate
EVGA also shut the fans off at low load. Personally have been MIGHTY impressed with my last 3 EVGA cards. my last MSI card was swimming in thermal paste and causing the card to throttle so had to re paste apart from that its been ok.

Associate
for silence i would go for the MSI im sure the fans are bigger on that card than they are on the EVGA meaning they need to spin less to offer the same cooling.

Associate
Why'd you want LEDs on the GPUS fans? They're facing down anyway. The likeliness of actually seeing them is rather slim.

I have a MSI edition myself, best GPU I've ever had when it comes to silence.
I had the Gigabyte WindForce X3 at one point which made a lot more noise.

Soldato
Had the msi which is now in my brothers build, great card and ran with passive cooling on games such as league of legends.

Soldato
I bought the Asus strix 970, very quiet also has 0 fan technology. Has a back plate, looks awesome. RMA would be direct with OCUK as always so not worried there (Previous experience RMA'ing an Asus card to OCUK no problem) some games the fan doesn't even spin up at all and in the games that do i can't hear it over my case fans which are not very loud at all

Back
Top Bottom