Absolute beginner : Access files over internet?

Associate
Hello all.

I don't have a clue as to what to expect here, but, I was wondering about setting up a way of accessing my files over the internet.

I am aware that there are certain programs out there, but if possible, I would like to avoid them.

One option that I have had a look at, is that my router has a USB port, and, I have had a look into this a litt,e and I think it will do exactly what I want it to do.

i.e give me access to only a few files that I want it to, and keep my main PC as safe as it can be.

The router I have, is a netgear DGN3500 and I have set it up to do the things I want it to, but I must be really nooby here but I just cannot get access to my files over the internet?

Can anyone walk me through it please, or tell me if I may be missing something or some setting or... Well, I just don't know?

Do I need to enter a direct IP ? Again, how can I get this information?

I have setup a USB stick for my tests and in this stick, a folder called WEBFILES and so, do I need to enter something like

http://111.222.333.444/WEBFILES

to get at them?

I am sorry but any help would be great.

Thank you.

Associate
You need to be extremely careful doing anything in this area, especially if you don't know what you're doing. Hackers routinely scan all the usual ports on consumer routers for this sort of thing and they will make the effort to attack you.

The best and simplest way to get access to files remotely is if you use something like Google Drive or MS OneDrive, especially if we are talking personal documents and things of that nature. If we are talking music and video, you'd be better off using something like Plex Media Server.

Otherwise you're looking at technologies like dynamic DNS or fixed IP addressing, plus firewalls to protect your stuff and VPNs to give you access. Not particularly appropriate for a self confessed newbie.

Caporegime
1. This is in the wrong forum.
2. If you only want access to a select few files that you know about in advance (enough to be able to copy them to a USB stick) then just use Dropbox/Google Drive/SkyOneDrivePlusLiveHotmail. Don't make life hard for yourself.

Associate
If you dont want to use cloud things then you can make your own cloud system within your network using something like owncloud or even secure ftp or ssh to securely transfer files. These would require a "server" though but something as cheap and as simple as a raspberry pi would do the job.

Alternative solution could be to set up a VPN to your network so you can VPN to your home and access files from a usb stick attached to your router securely but once again you would need something to serve the VPN endpoint but some routers have this built in.
I'll echo the above be careful what ports you open.

Edit: after a quick google it seems your router supports VPN after firmware 1.1.00.33

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom