Poll: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2021, Yas Island - Race 22

Rate the 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten. If you want. I can’t be arsed.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Commissario
The whole season has made me contemplate whether I will continue to watch F1 next season. I feel cheated of my time investment and support I have given to the sport over the last 3 decades.
I can't not watch F1. I'm really excited to see what happens with the car changes next year and the difference they make to being able to run closer and overtake.

I've only ever been to a few races and not for many years but I'd be very happy to go to any race on the calendar, it doesn't matter who the track favours or who is expected to do well. I just enjoy the entire spectacle of the race weekend. I went to the US GP at Indianapolis along with an American and a Dutchman. They were supporting Ferrari and Jos Verstappen respectively and I went over with my Jaguar flags and shirts.

I'd even be happy to go back to circuits where it's a procession from start to finish. The whole weekend experience is something outstanding that's fun to be a part of.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

If Mercedes do launch an appeal, I’ll close this thread as it’s becoming a bit tired now.

Man of Honour
With custom-made Bridgestone tyres!
And getting anything and everything banned when fighting with McLaren due to Ferraris special status with the FIA at the time.

And the bargeboards that were 10mm out of spec.. but only when measured on the car. When in a special mount that they were allowed to measure them in at the appeal, they were miraculously in tolerance.... :eek:

Soldato
I'm glad I decided not to follow F1 during the Schumacher/ Ferrari era and avoided all that. Couldn't stand the man though if I had to name my all time drivers I'd still probably just about put him ahead of Lewis behind Prost and Senna.

Soldato
Well given the FIA's press release yesterday I really hope that Mercedes follow through with the appeal, the term sport needs to be put back into Motorsport with regards to F1, and I believe they this is the only way to ensure they have clean and clear rules, not a vaguely worded sentence to hide behind.

Soldato
I will be amazed if they take it any further, but I think they should to make sure the fia are held to account.

I think the point has been made, and it would be poor form to keep pushing it, one of two things would happen:
A. You'd spend all that time/money/effort/emotion and the net outcome remains the same.
B. By some miracle, the result is overturned, that would leave more of a sour taste than Masi's last lap attempt and I think I'd probably side with Max on this, he stands to lose the most (through no fault of his own)

This is assuming that the controversies this year which I pin fairly at Masi's feet are addressed for next season..

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

And the bargeboards that were 10mm out of spec.. but only when measured on the car. When in a special mount that they were allowed to measure them in at the appeal, they were miraculously in tolerance.... :eek:
https://sidepodcast.com/post/days-that-shook-the-f1-world-ferrari-bargeboard-scandal

They found the barge boards to be 10mm out but as if by magic they agreed to impose a 5mm tolerance on all the parts, when it was clearly meant for the floor.

Reading this you realise that it was another occasion where they manipulated things to get a final race showdown.

Soldato
I am starting to think Mercedes have dropped it.

Susie Wolff congratulating Max publicly would seem like the first obvious step that they're letting it go:
https://www.motorsportweek.com/2021...-with-sick-feeling-after-abu-dhabi-f1-finale/

“Congratulations Max and congratulations to each and every member of Mercedes on your record breaking eighth constructors title – I hope by March of next year there is a governing body with sporting integrity and fairness at its core so I can fall back in love with F1.”

Soldato
I think the point has been made, and it would be poor form to keep pushing it, one of two things would happen:
A. You'd spend all that time/money/effort/emotion and the net outcome remains the same.
B. By some miracle, the result is overturned, that would leave more of a sour taste than Masi's last lap attempt and I think I'd probably side with Max on this, he stands to lose the most (through no fault of his own)

This is assuming that the controversies this year which I pin fairly at Masi's feet are addressed for next season..
I genuinely think they will drop it, I dont want to see Max stripped of his title now, and I very much doubt Lewis would want to inherit it this way either.
I think the best thing that could come from this now is a rework of how Race Control functions, and more clarity and consistency going forward. But I doubt we'll even see that.
If nothing this has highlighted to the world what we, as genuine fans of the sport, have known for a long time. The F1 rulebook is far to complicated for its own good, when even the RD cant even stick to the damn thing. The problem I see is that there is no real option for replacement of Masi. I feel he is wholly unsuitable for the role, but there are no better candidates I can see, It requires intimate working knowledge of the rules and regs. intimate knowledge of past precedence, a sound head under pressure, consistency, respect of the teams and completely unbiased. What we need is Charlie Whiting:(

Soldato
If they do proceed and win the case, maybe Lewis could state he doesn't want a tarnished WDC to his name, just wanted a fair outcome and Max can keep the title, whatever it would be worth with that sort of public disgrace attached to it.

Bar

Bar

Soldato
I think they want to prove that the race was "fixed" either intentionally or unintentionally. This will create the perception that it was their driver who deserved it and not the one who actually won it - a moral victory for them.

Soldato
Controversial opinion.. if as we all seem to believe the facts are the race was screwed up and they went into it level and then both of them sort of "won" in their own way, maybe they could share it this year.

It's fairly lame, shouldn't have come to this but we are where we are and it's the only way they can walk away with some grace. They both win so they both get the asterisk in wikipedia that this year wasn't quite right but both get the tick in the box and nobody is robbed of anything.

Years down the line the record will only really show Lewis has 8, Max has 1 as of the end of the 2021 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom